Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Connection issues, security enabled networking?

ZOMG HELP ME PLEAZZZZE TEH NETWROK DOSNT SEEM 2 B RUNNING RITE

Sorry, kidding. I'm sure you get vague crap like that all the time. First off, a major THANK YOU to all of you guys for running a board like this, it's appreciated.

Right now I've got some serious networking problems and to put it bluntly, I suck at computers. Every day, my signal fluctuates from a tolerable one to very sloooooooooow. The only networks I CAN use are Belkin and Linksys. All the other ones are password protected/security enabled so I have no idea how to use them.

Half the time I cannot even get a page online to load for me. Would I be able to fix this problem without setting up my own network? If not how exactly do I do that in the first place? I run on DSL. Our house has more than one computer, but mine is the only one experiencing networking difficulties.

Again, MUCH THANKS and if you need more information which you most likely will ask away.

Last edited by ForeverRockin; March 15th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Welcome to CTH first let me say it is hard to deal with when you can't get online we all have felt that pain. With that said however it sounds like to me you are actually trying to use wireless networks that do not belong to you. Just picking up a network and getting on the internet is not a good idea. Sure those folks should have a secure network then this wouldn't be an issue but helping you to use a network that isn't evne yours would put CTH in a bit of a tight spot. The best idea would be to go out and get yourself a nice wireless router then anyone at CTH would be more than happy to help you set it up and config it to work with not only your computer but everyone else in that house.
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Hi bAdWaYz. I think you may have misunderstood my situation. First, yes I do have a wireless router, but it's giving me problems with weak signals. Second, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to set up my own password protected network? The only networks I can use are the public Belkin and Linksys.