Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Talking Im thinkin Virus

the computer has been acting a little on the slow side lately and I was wondering if someone could help me out and try and fix it, I think ive got a virus.

On a side note, I also think my computer is overheating... because it reboots itself every now and again. What are some things I can do to try and help this. I'm thinking it could also very well be related to my suspicions that I have a virus.

-thanks
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...kthis/download
Click on Download HijackThis Installer
Post HijackTHis log in the Cyber Safety Forum and let the malware experts take a look at it.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
shut down computer open the covers up and get canned air and blow out all the dust. Carefull not to spin your fans with the canned air as it can create voltage being sent into the board. Hold them with a pencil.

While your in there make sure all fans are working ok when the power is back on.

Random restarts are usually caused by heat buildup caused by dust or power supply failing.

The slowness of your computer, well make sure you don't have that many programs running on startup, like file sharing or itunes or anything else. Just startup the bare essentials like antivirus and firewall only.

Rune adaware or spybot search and destroy and eliminate junk.

Uninstall spytoolbars and junk programs that may have been downloaded and installed without you wanting them, go to add remove programs.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM

so I went and posted in the cyber safety forums after running Ad-aware and super anti spyware. After running HJ and OTViewit for them, they said everything looked clean. I went and cleaned out even more programs and games that I don't use very often, I keep my computer very bare to begin with. Ive tried to pay more attention to how the computer acts and it seems that when I close a program it freezes for a second (the mouse/courser can still move, it just can't do anything) and it freezes for a second when I open programs (same thing with mouse).

My computer is custom built and I clean it frequently (side note. I didn't know that blowing air on the fans can cause them to conduct electric currents, good to know) so I wouldn't think it has anything to do with dust. I did recently add an extra/ new fan thinking that this could help keep the computer cooler, because it was rebooting on its own.

Im running out of Ideas, and don't know what to do...

what does an AMD athlon 64 processor 3500+ normally run at? I did, about a year ago mess with overclocking it, but got scared and am thinking that maybe I didn't put it back down to the right amount that AMD deems "safe"
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I set the BIOS to default just in case the CPU was overheating from when I was trying to overclock, but Its still having its freezing problem, I haven't noticed it reboot itself yet tho.
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Which way do you have the new fan blowing? If all fans are blowing air out, it's likely the air vents aren't big enough to allow enough air in to get good circulation. If you have one fan blowing out - usually the power supply fan - any added case fan should be blowing into the case.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:40 AM

I double checked the fans and they are all blowing in the right direction
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
At idle about 35-40c under load 45-50c. What are the temp's? Should have a hardware monitor in your BIOS (SETUP).
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM

temps

shutdown temperature 85'C/185'F
CPUFan Fully ON if CPUTEMP > 50'C
CPUFan Tur OFF If CPUTEMP < 25'C
CHSFan Turn ON If CHSTEMP > 35'C
CHSFan Turn OFF IF CHSTEMP < 25'C
NB Fan Fully ON if NB TEMP > 55'C
NB fan Turn OFF if NB TEMP < 25'C
ATX +3.3V voltage 3.32V
ATX +5.0V Voltage 5.21V
ATX +12V Voltage 12.09V
+5V Dual Voltage 5.08V
Battery Voltage 3.23V
CPU CORE TEMPERATURE 38'C
PWM AREA TEMPERATURE 47'C
CHIPSET TEMPERATURE 53'C
CPU FAN fan speed 1308 RPM
CHS fan speed 2812 RPM
CHIPSET fan speed 5113 RPM

These where in the BIO's

If there is a program to get the temps I would gladly get that information for you too.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM

try to reinstall your operating system
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM

lol whats up with you and reinstalling... you said that on my other post. Its been a long time since Ive reinstalled the OS on a computer, on any for that matter. Isn't there a way that I can just reinstall the Core of the system and leave my files alone. I have a lot of programs and I don't know if I could find them all again. I have two hard drives, If I do reinstall, I can wipe one out without effecting the others content right? would I have to (can't think of the word right now) re-recognize( I guess) that hard drive if I did this?
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
CPU CORE TEMPERATURE 38'C

Good temp's.. Must be either hardware related or XP. Lets check your event logs may tells us what is causing the shutdown.

Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage", left pane click on "Event Viewer" open up the "System" one. See if there are errors for the last time you booted list them here, also check on the "Application" log.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If the request you just posted in the Cyber Safety forum here is for this computer ckydoofy13, then not sure why nothing showed in the past but infection is showing there now. Maybe we just do a cleaning there first before continuing here with the hardware assessments. You agree, Murf?

Hmmm - Just reread the Cyber request again. A friend's computer. Maybe not.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM

no thats a friends computer that I'm cleaning. this is my person computer that im having trouble with, here is the cyber safety link for my personal computer when all this started acting wierd and annmarie said it looked fine
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Right click on "My Computer" then to "Manage", left pane click on "Event Viewer" open up the "System" one. See if there are errors for the last time you booted list them here, also check on the "Application"
log.

From The System there seems to be a consistent Error message that says "Error ati2mtag CRT" does it have something to do with the graphics card? am I overheating it? I have a 22' screen hooked up to VGA and my 41' to DVI, but I only display on the 41' to watch movies.

Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100600SR Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Under Applications there aren't any consistent errors there are a couple with outlook.

Could part of my freezing problem be the RAM I installed.

This was my old ram:
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

This was my new ram:
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory