Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Computer powers on for 0.5 seconds only.

Hello,

I have a problem with powering my computer.It seems like voltage goes in and immediatly shuts off resulting in powering the button and motherboard leds for half a second(sane goes for the case fans).

What happens is when I plug the PSU to the socket the moment i turn on the switch on PSU(even without pushing any Main Power buttons) the leds and fans starts for a shot second then everything dies.Then it goes again all by itself the same thing until i switch the button on PSU to off.

What my idea of the problem is that the PSU stars to power the MB and something short circuits(or how is it called) and something protects the system by shutting it.Everything worked well then i had to travel taking the PC with me,after trying to start the computer it comes to this.

Things i tried is unplug every cord leaving only the main cord that powers the MB and this still happens.

I would appreciate it if you could advice me or tip me on what may cause the problem and how should i try to recognise it.
Should it be the PSU failing or even the MB or even the CPU or even the Main Power buttons...

Thank you in advance.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I'm betting it is the Power Supply, those are symptoms of a failing power supply.

You indicate this started after travelling with the PC? Take the memory chips out and reseat, also reseat any cards you have. one loose one can cause this.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I reseated everything(but the CPU) and tried both with and without the cards/drives.
I also tried without the power buttons pins on.
The litest version i tried was PSU,CPU and MB connected,still the same results.
I can go for a new PSU since in my logic it only makes sence that there's the problem.
Could you try to explain the problem as you see it?Would like to expand my knowledge.
I guess this thread could be closed anyway thank you again.

BTW you guys do awesome work I trully appreciate it!
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

Before you swap out the PSU (even though Murf is probably right). Double check your motherboard, make sure it hasn't shifted and is properly mounted on the stand-offs.
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Motherboard is in place no signs of it being able to shift at all,everything on it is screwed firmly.
I have read on a troubleshoot guide that there is a very slim possibility the CPU could be moved is that a possibility?(since i have build this PC myself)
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

I would think that is such a slim possiblity that i wouldn't consider it unless I had a monster of a Heatsink/fan mounted to the cpu. Since the mainboard isn't grounding, and all your other cards/connections are correctly seated, then Murf is right and you need to replace the PSU.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Hello again...i just replaced the PSU and the same problem...are our bets on the MB now? :/

Could it be the motherboards battery?
I only got it 2 years and it was a decent motherboard. A Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L.

Last edited by ska_ter18; June 27th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added question about battery
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Hello again...i just replaced the PSU and the same problem...are our bets on the MB now?
My bet would be on the mainboard now. I think what I would do now before replacing the board, is to completely break the system down and rebuild it, just on the off chance I missed something.

The mainboard battery wouldn't be the cause, since all it does is provide power to the bios chip so it will keep the bios settings. If the battery goes bad, the bios settings will revert to factory defaults and you'll get a "cmos checksum error" at bootup.
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Hello, I apologize for taking time to answer...sent the MB back with warrancy though i got notified that no fault was identified and the MB worked fine.Still i am very confused as i tried to plug only MB and PSU to the socket even without CPU and the problem remained...i bought new PSU for that reason and now they say MB is fine... -.-

Could it be that the electricity socket have a problem in my house...or i maybe the output is bad and that happens?(because the problem starts as soon as i plug it into electricity even without trying to start anything)
Should i try to work it in a different house?(not that i got one)
oddly though it used to work...

I will get the MB back this week and will try to assemble again the system in hopes of a miracle...
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Post your complete system specs, (use my signature for an example of info needed)
Include make/model of your case.
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Thank you for taking time with me...the problem was resolved magically...-.-
A mod should close this thread. Again thank you all.