Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 22nd, 2020, 02:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I know its not advised but....

is there a way to turn off windows updates in window 10?
thanks
kuzzz
Old August 22nd, 2020, 01:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
You can pause updates for up to 35 days using the advanced options in Settings/Update&Security. Don't know how to turn them off.

Something to consider is finding a way to stop the clock so as to keep the computer at a date inside the 35 days.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 03:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can also set your wifi to meter account - if using wifi
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

I seen where you could pause it but after the 35 days all the updates will be installed so that defeats stopping updates
Thanks
kuzzz
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

What effects could occur by stopping the clock have on the functioning of the pc though?
thanks
kuzzz
Old August 23rd, 2020, 06:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The clock we are talking about is the one that updates the date and time of the computer, not the system clock which clocks data thru the computer.

I'm not even sure it can be done but stopping the clock would mean that the date and time of the computer would not change, files saved including photos would all have the same date and time and email sent would all have the same date and time which would mean that they would not be at the top of the list on the receivers computer.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; August 23rd, 2020 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add information
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:37 PM

You can always disconnect from the network. Then when you prevent updates and your computer becomes a threat to you and the rest of us, the badguys will not be able to compromise your computer and we will be isolated from your unprotected system.
Old August 25th, 2020, 10:54 AM
CTH Subscriber

I have protection on my pc Digerati. I don't know how my not updating my pc would hurt you.
kuzzz
Old August 25th, 2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know how my not updating my pc would hurt you.
After all these years you have never heard that an out-of-date operating system can result in newly discovered vulnerabilities going unpatched or unfixed?

Or that those exposed vulnerabilities have the potential of being exploited by the bad guys?

Or that exploited vulnerabilities on those compromised systems are often used, not just to perform malicious activities against the users, but to take hidden control of those compromised systems, turn them into zombie machines, draft them into bot-armies then used to distribute spam and malware to the rest of us? Or used to participate in DDoS attacks against our hospital networks, universities, organizations, government networks, or public and private companies big and small?

You have never heard that keeping our operating systems current is one of the most effective ways of ensuring our computers remain secure?

I am not against delaying Windows Update for a few days. If there is a problem with an update, it is typically realized within a day or two of release. And once a problem is detected, Microsoft either fixes the update, or pulls it and released a corrected patch at a later date. So delaying is one thing. Disabling is totally different.

Contrary to what some want us to believe, the number of users experiencing a Windows Update breaking their machine is miniscule. It is important to remember there are over 1 billion Windows 10 systems out there. If just 1/10 of 1% of those 1 billion computers broke after a WU, that would be 1,000,000 unhappy users. And 1,000,000 unhappy users can make a LOT of noise - especially when their complaints are repeated, amplified, exaggerated and repeated again by Microsoft bashers and wannabe journalists in the IT Press who blow the problem way WAY out of proportion.

In any other industry, a 99.9% success rate would be considered exceptional. But because so many love to hate Microsoft, it has to be 100% or nothing.

But the reality is, folks experiencing problems is no where near 1 million! If it was, the forums, tech sites, computer repair shops like mine, and IT administrators would be inundated every "Patch Tuesday" with broken machines. But it ain't happening.

In fact, in my years doing computer repair, I have yet to encounter a computer that was bricked by a Window Update. Not one! There have been a small hand-full where the update had to be uninstalled. Or a driver needed to be updated (hardly Microsoft's fault!). But typically, any problems encountered are cleared by a simple reboot!

Remember too, each and every one of those 1 billion W10 machines became unique within the first few minutes after the first boot when new. This as the user setup his or her own unique user account, unique networking, unique personalizations, printers and other attached hardware, installed programs and even their own security.

And don't forget, Windows based computers are often assembled using components from multiple (and often competing) manufacturers - all expected to comply to the same ATX Form Factor standard.

And yet, week after week, 100s of millions, that is, the vast majority of those 1 billion W10 users never end up with a broken computer after a Windows Update.

That's a rather remarkable feat if you ask me.

Unless the computer is on a corporate network and/or managed by a true IT security professional, it really is best to leave the defaults alone. They work!

Assuming our security programs (whether 3rd party or Windows Defender) are good enough is short-sighted and flawed thinking. We should never assume we are smarter, or always ahead of the bad guys.

FTR, this is not me defending Microsoft. IMO, there is definitely room for Microsoft to improve the Windows Update process. And for sure, even 1 failure out of 1 billion is 1 too many. The problem is the bad guys. And we, the users, and ALWAYS weakest links in security must do our part to block the bad guys from attacking us and our fellow computer users. And one of the best ways to do that is by keeping our operating systems current.