Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old March 15th, 2019, 05:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
New Zealand Members

My sincere condolences to our New Zealand Members, especially those in Christchurch, including Smurfy, on the terrible tragedy that has occurred there.

The people of that region have had too much misfortune of recent times and this latest senseless act to so many new migrants and refugees as well as long term residents is just not fair.

My thoughts are with you.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:23 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I couldn't agree more. Deepest sympathies.

Sure hope you're okay Smurfy.
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Yeah, my poor home town... again.
Thanks for posting Neddie... I was going to post an "I'm OK" here last night, but frankly I'm not "OK"... I am angry, shocked, saddened, devastated and a whole range of other emotions. I barely slept last night, not in fear, but in turmoil.

I made a pointed comment on social media yesterday afternoon (about three hours into the event - well after the facebook livestream fact was widely known) that the media and politicians were still not labeling this an act of terrorism. It took about 5 hours for that word to be officially used. I will say it again...
this really is this black and white... If this had been darkskinned persons doing this in "Christian" places of worship, it would have been labelled terrorism IMMEDIATELY. The fact that they are reluctant to use the right words is a sign that maybe we aren't as liberal as we like to think we are.
p.s. Close the border to White Australians .. when?

To those of us that share neither belief system, the extremists on both sides of this religious divide have always seemed as bad as each other, but they never seem to manage to end up killing one another, it always ends up the "normal innocent people" who are the victims of their terrorism.
Old March 17th, 2019, 12:03 AM

Yes you have even right to be Angry Smurfy!!!!

I love your country NZ .. I first read about this on city-data this morning and I couldnt believe this happend there..... People on CD were wondering if they were gonna restrict guns........ She could do something but they will still get them if they really want them

Im so sorry Smurfy and to all affected in NZ
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:01 PM

I echo all condolences to families and friends of those who lost their lives in the horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
this really is this black and white... If this had been darkskinned persons doing this in "Christian" places of worship, it would have been labelled terrorism IMMEDIATELY. The fact that they are reluctant to use the right words is a sign that maybe we aren't as liberal as we like to think we are.
Maybe, but this is a function of semantics and observed outcomes more than reality. It will take an effort to make reality jibe with the language.

"Terrorists" are typically part of organizations that motivate and/or train and/or plan and execute hostile acts against civilians for political and/or tactical gain.

Even then, whether they are "terrorists" or "freedom fighters" depends on your view of their aims and their results at the end of the day. Some might have arguments about the validity of the objectives of the PLO, the Taliban, the Irish Republican Army, the KKK and even ISIL even while condemning their behavior, and the characterization of culprits may depend on your view of their aims.

Meanwhile "loan wolves" such as Timothy McVeigh (Murrah Building explosion) Dylan Roof (Charleston church rampage) and the accused Robert Bowers (Pittsburgh synagogue rampage) are only "hate criminals" rather than terrorists and of course Stephen Paddock who killed about 60 people at a concert in Las Vegas without an evident motivation isn't even that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
To those of us that share neither belief system, the extremists on both sides of this religious divide have always seemed as bad as each other, but they never seem to manage to end up killing one another, it always ends up the "normal innocent people" who are the victims of their terrorism.
I would point to the ongoing Sunni vs Shiite internecine Muslim wars, the India (Buddhist) vs. Pakistan (Muslim) conflict, and the Myanmar crisis (also Buddhist vs Muslim) as ongoing examples of the contrary. These guys go for soft targets and hard, leaders and civilians.

Last edited by Total Noob; March 19th, 2019 at 10:19 PM.