Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
coding issue

What i am about to ask may seem like work, if it is too much of a problem dont worry about it. I was wondering if anyone could do me a favor. My site is www.skilledgraphics(dot)com. Open the page and you will notice it loads the images a little weird. I made this with publisher. What i was wondering if someone could take a look at the coding and tell me how to clean it up a bit better. Like i said this could be work and if so, dont worry about it. Im not looking to hire anyone, just was hoping for some pointers. hope someone can help.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Microsoft applications are the absolute worst thing you can use to create web sites, especially Word and Publisher. The code for that site is so far gone there's no point in trying to explain the problems. You would be better off simply starting from scratch where the code is concerned. If you view the source of your site and compare it to the source of just about any other site you'll see how drastically different the MS code is.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I agree with Buzz, it's a mess. If you're not willing to start over you'll always have issues. If you can't hand code then use anything but MS which creates so much proprietary junk that it's difficult to fix things in the source code. Nvu makes decent code.

Just a couple things I noticed:

You're using five individual parallel images for a background. They're not coded as a background but as individual images. There still aren't enough of them to make a solid background as you have white space on the right at higher resolutions. Get rid of them and use a single background image or a solid color in your css.

Also, the image that you have as an overlay in your content is better used as a background in a div instead of on top. That disables normal use of the context menus.

Not image related but a serious issue, at least to me:
Dump the background midi or give people a way to disable it instead of making them (me) mute my music while on your site. It didn't play in Firefox but when I opened it in IE the first thing I wanted to do is leave. Quickly. Not only that but it never ends so I had to leave my speakers muted or be subjected to a really annoying midi jangle. Geez.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM

thanks guys, ive actually redesign the site, again with publisher, its not perfect, but i think its better than it was, and i havent noticed any major problems with IE or firefox, so i think i may just leave it as is.

I think i would prefer to do it all in photoshop, but photoshops coding is even worse

Oh. Took out the music too Rockboy
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM

The code is just as bad as it was -- horrible.

Photoshop is an image editor, not a web site creator. Any and all of it's web site creation functions are for image editing and in no way professional tools for actual site building.
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Photoshop is an image editor, not a web site creator. Any and all of it's web site creation functions are for image editing and in no way professional tools for actual site building.
yup, photoshop is used to modify existed template. To create something? hm I still use it for creating simple logos and some website jobs...
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah i know, but it serves its purpose, it loads better than before, and when a visitor comes, they aren't going to know the coding is crap, because it is fully functional.
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM

See, I disagree. If you are promoting yourself as a web site creator, the code is just as important as anything displayed on the page. If you were an auto mechanic and had a few cars sitting around.... if I popped the hoods and saw duck tape all over the place I'd take my car somewhere else. Then again, one can't expect much for a $70 web site.
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
See, I disagree. If you are promoting yourself as a web site creator, the code is just as important as anything displayed on the page. If you were an auto mechanic and had a few cars sitting around.... if I popped the hoods and saw duck tape all over the place I'd take my car somewhere else. Then again, one can't expect much for a $70 web site.
Good point, but... i only offer graphic services. I dont offer coding. If i go to that mechanic, am i going to judge him differently because the cars he's working on have bad paint jobs?
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Okay but...
Quote:
Website Design— $70
No part of that indicates you only create images. Perhaps that should read "Web Graphics". Site design encompasses front and back end in all cases I've ever seen.
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Okay but...

No part of that indicates you only create images. Perhaps that should read "Web Graphics". Site design encompasses front and back end in all cases I've ever seen.
Yeah i guess your right, I should clarify. That would take away the hassel of having to explain it every time someone requests it.

Let me ask you something, i did this in publisher, so how hard would it be to correct the coding. I have all of the images, most of it is just one big background image, which would probabll need to be sliced, or not im not sure. Anyways How hard would it be.

Sorry im pretty much an idiot when it comes to coding, i know some basic html, but with css, and php, and all the new methods these days i find myself in another world.
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM

It actually wouldn't be that difficult to rebuild. I, personally, would scrap all code completely and start from scratch. It could easily be built out as an XHTML/CSS table-less design fairly quickly. Of course, provided you understand the code.

For a beginner, it would be a good site to get your feet wet with since it isn't terribly complicated.