Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Video card problem.....

I just installed a video card on my computer ( dell dimension 4600). The screen is kind of messed up and everything is larger than normal. It said the video card was compatible when it recognized it and then I went through the steps and it said installation finished, installed device improperly may not run correctly. I think I may have made a mistake, by not uninstalling the previous video card first? Apparently the video card(old one) is part of the motherboard......Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Video card : geforce 5500 AGP

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by intothevoidx80; June 18th, 2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:01 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Location: In the box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the building half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait Shop. You know the place.
it sounds like you have a bad driver. go to the nvida website and download the latest driver for your video card and install it, and see if that fixes the problem.

ALSO
since you have an onboard video card that you won't be using, it is suggested you disable it, to release the resources it uses when enabled, to do that:

you'll have to disable the onboard card via a setting in your BIOS. since you're running a DELL chances are you don't get to see the BIOS POST run (you see a DELL logo instead,) and therefore you can't see what key you need to press to get into the BIOS.. you'll have to look through your computer's documentation for how to get into the BIOS, once you're into the BIOS you can disable the onboard video card (look through your documentation for that too)
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM

I installed the latest drivers and it's still bigger than normal.
Old June 18th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Ok, I managed to fix the size issue. The game I want to play though (guild wars) is still downloading slow in the game, and has some lag. I am using a cable connection so I don't know where the lag is coming from. Any ideas?
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Location: In the box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the building half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait Shop. You know the place.
is it like, computer lag (where the image updating is slow) or is it internet lag, where you have a high "ping", or player movements are jerky?
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not internet lag as I have a cable connection that is pretty fast and I don't lag on any other games. Sometimes the screen gets a little jerky but it's mostly slow when I have to load between areas. If I move from one area of the game and proceed to the next and it requires a download, it takes a longer amount of time than it should. Someone suggested it might be my ram. I only have 256 mb and they said it would run faster if I upgraded to 512 mb.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM

upgrading from 256 MB of ram to 512 would only help if you were maxing out your RAM capacity, and Windows was forced to start using your hard drive for memory space (via the PageFile). also, the slowness could be caused by the game servers, or the the routers between your computer and the game servers. when you're downloading, are you downloading things from the game server, are you loading stuff off of your hard drive?
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:43 PM

im pretty sure RAM is the problem i think the recomended for guildwars is 512mb, so running it at half that isnt going to be nice.