Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:58 PM

error on startup

I turned on my laptop today and got a message saying that there was an error on start up and it recommended that I restore my system to a previous save point, so I did. After restarting everything seems fine and it listed some "help files" one of them said memory dump or something in the file name (sorry I closed the window). Now when I try to run windows update it just says "preparing to install" and hangs. I looked up the problem online and it recommended I run a clean boot so I tried that and upon restart it let me download the update. Anyone have any idea what is going on? This isn't a virus is it? I feel like it may be related to the windows update I installed the night before, but I restarted it shortly after that and didn't have any problems...Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When you restored it went back say a couple of days, probably before you ran the update. The update could of been corrupted, not unusual, as this can happen while using the computer during the download of the update, or a broken connection etc.

So when you updated again it went OK. Windows will create a dump file when it is shutdown improperly, or a error causes it to shut down. It is a recording of what happened, but the average user could not read or understand it.

If the system is OK and running OK, then your problem is solved. Hopefully you are running some type of anti-virus.