Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:18 AM

Boot up problem

My computer is always on. Got home and had no broadband link.Called AT&T and as part of their diagnostics, shut down computer. They reestablished broadband link but when I turned on computer, I can see the normal start up steps on the monitor but the image blinks so fast that you can't make anything out. Then after start up is completed the screen is dark. The monitor is a known good monitor.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
gonna have to try safe mode and see if that works first before moving on. Tap F8 during boot and it will bring up the menu.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for responding. Safe mode was the first thing I tried, but the monitor remained dark with just flashes that were to quick to see.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
If it won't boot into normal or safe mode then you don't have many options. If you have a windows xp cd you can boot from that & try a windows repair first. If you only have a recovery cd then you will have to reload windows unless your recovery cd gives you a non-destructive install option..

How to repair windows.. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx