Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
XP Installer-Patch problem?

I received from a knoen and trusted address an e-mail with an attached .pdf file.
I have Acrobat 8.1 since >8 months and via the updates now it is 8.1.1.
I opened the attachment and printed the file. On one page the paper was stained, so I repeated the print.
I got the following error message: “Unable to start print job. Is printer available? “
When I click then the OK, nothing happens, I have to click again and then the the message disappears and that’s it.
I tried to update the Reader, no response. I tried to repair it, no response. And Help does not work either.
I decided to uninstall and install.
I got the following message: “The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installers patch package.”
I’m the administrator.
That package I have not loaded, but could be in the PC via the automatic updates.
In the update history is nothing mentioned – I looked back to Sept. 2007.
On the windows site is a windows installer 3.1 package for download. Must I download that?
And is XP Sp3 required or advisable to download? With Sp2 I waited also quite a while and that proofed to be "time well spend”.
Anyway, could someone advise me on these 3 issues please :
To fix Acrobat to I need this 3.1 windows installer and must I installed it?
SP3: advisable?

The attachment I printed then with the same printer from my other XP machine, with Acrobat ver.5.0 without any problems.
thanks
nopfusch

Last edited by nopfusch; March 1st, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Uninstall that resourses hog you have & download & install Foxit reader. It does the same thing & loads as soon as you click on a PDF file..

Read about it & download it here... http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Re...-10313206.html Did I say it's free... (:>)
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thanks w1che,
but I can't uninstall anything, the "patch" is not here or corrupted or I must get it ....
If I only would know, that the patch is reasonably well working ...
nopfusch
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You may be interested in this thread on the Adobe board. The answer to your uninstall of the reader is there.. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc315a0?14