Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Here is something that I don't know may be the source of the issue.

Last Monday, my my screen on my laptop got a line down the middle. On Wedneday, it started acting funny and then on Thursday I got all the error messages. Could the line down the screen be the hardware problem?
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Here is another suggestion to see if it's a windows problem or a hardware problem. Do you have access to a cd burner? If so, then go to www.ubuntu.com and download the latest edition of ubuntu linux ver. 7.10. They will give you instructions on how to download it and put it on cd. Then put it in your laptops optical drive and boot to the cd. It will boot up and load a preinstalled environment and run right off the cd. Then you'll know. If it boots and linux runs. It's a windows problem. If it errs, then it's most definitely a hardware problem.
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM

Billy_Bob,

OK, so I downloaded Ubuntu and burned it. Pop it in the drive, started it up and the ubuntu screen pops up with a menu. Do I need to do anything else to see if it is truly a windows problem? Do I need ti install Start/install Ubuntu?

Thanks,
crk
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Since you successfully booted all the way into linux, that tells me your hardware is running ok. The only other possibility in the line of hardware messing up would be your hard drive. But I really don't think that's the issue. I think you are now dealing with a windows problem.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM

I now am starting to think it's a driver issue. Did you recently do any updates to something, like a new piece of hardware or a graphics driver? Or make a trip to Windows update and install the optional updates?

If you can't boot into windows, and safemode blue screens, and you only have a recovery disc, not a regular windows setup disc. The only thing I have left is to make sure you are booting with only the essentials. Make sure all USB components are all unplugged including any external mice or keyboards. Take your battery out. Unplug any external monitors, docking stations.... Anything that's not bolted to the machine and see what happens.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM

I've done all that. The only thing I have hooked up to the laptop is the power cord. All it does is keeps re-booting.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Then, Unless someone else has any ideas... I think you may have to resort to restoring it with your restore discs.