Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Question Server Questions

1) is this the right board to post this in?
2) Unix / Linux or what do you suggest?
3) Learn to run my own with a used server to start with or lease?
4) Cpanel wtih WHM or plesk?
5) Any thing else I missed?

My take, so far we (myself and partner) have been trying to build our on line hosting business with another person running the server. We have a resellers account, and we are down more lately then up.....This means our clients are down as well on this particular server. Not Kewl

I need to stay in prayer about this but partner wishes us to purchase our own server, I feel this maybe a natural progression but am a tad hesitant to do so because it would require more work and learning to be able to run it.
I spoke with Mishy about this some time ago, who gave me some great advise. It has been so long that I need a refresher please.

I am honesty green to this and am trying to get enough information to form the best possible decision on how we should proceed.

Thank you for any help your able to give and fair warning I have been known to ask a lot questions.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moma View Post
1) is this the right board to post this in?
2) Unix / Linux or what do you suggest?
3) Learn to run my own with a used server to start with or lease?
4) Cpanel wtih WHM or plesk?
5) Any thing else I missed?
Hiya da_moma,

1) It's probably best in Web Development & Graphic Design so I'll move it there after this post

2) CentOS, or Redhat are what I would recommend if (and only if) you are prepared to learn a lot about Linux. In my experience for web serving it is just an excellent platform. Windows Standard Server 2003 is supposed to be good and would probably involve less learning for you. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to devote time to learning (and having fun), or just getting the server up as quickly as possible so you can go back to developing whatever it is that will make you money.

3) Learning to run your own server is fun - it's also a steep learning curve if you haven't done it before. Personally, I like to learn how things work etc so I can fix things for myself. Leasing (which I think you might be confusing for "managed servers") is good but a lot more expensive. I really wouldn't advise buying your own server and then collocating it. I haven't yet found anywhere where this makes hosting cheaper. Sure you get to choose your own hardware and it may be better than what the hosting company use but that is the only advantage.

4) I don't use a control panel but the way I always read it was Plesk is more secure, but cPanel is the most easy to use of all control panels and has the most features.

5) Just a note on actually getting a server. Be VERY VERY careful what you buy. If you aren't doing huge numbers of hits/database queries you really do not need a server with all the bells and whistles. It is easy to fall into the trap of buying the best thinking it will make your website the fastest thing on the internet when in reality if it doesn't have much to do a lot a far slower server could do the same job. (in CPU and memory terms).

Whether you go "unmanaged" or "managed" is up to you but if you go "unmanaged" bear in mind that generally the only time the server companies techs will help you is if the server has a hardware fault, it won't boot at all, or they have a problem on their network. They won't as a rule help if you make a mistake on the software and the only solution they will offer you is to wipe the server and reinstall from the beginning.
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

What do you actually need to do?
Do you really need your own server? The main reason for your own server would be if you wanted to install your own software or components.

e.g.
Using a Windows server example. If you purchased hosting you would get ASP, PHP, Access and mySQL.
You would get email and stat software and a control panel.

What you wouldn't be able to do is install third-party components. This may be PHP add-ons for dynamic images or it may be an ISAPI component to manage URL Rewriting.

These need to be installed and registered on the server and the webhost will not allow you to do this, so you have a dedicated server that you fully control.

If you don't need to do this then I would recommend reputable webhosting. These are companies that have guaranteed uptime.
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Hi guys, da_moma wants me to let you all know she is having internet issues right now and that's why she hasn't been back to say "Thanks" However I was on the phone with her right now and did read all the replies to her.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Thanks for the update