Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:20 PM

how do I change the rename convention?

I work with files in bulk and I want to rename them using the convention in which "filename (x).***" is used to sequence them. With other versions of Windows, I highlight all the files whose names I want to change, designate the first one as "filename (X).***", and the rest become "filename (X+1)" "filename (X+2)" and so on. This works even if X is more than one, which can happen if I have moved the lower numbered ones elsewhere for filing purposes.

However, with Vista only, if I choose to start with X being more than 1 and there is no lower number in the folder, the names change to "filename (1)" "filename (2)" and so on, not to X+1. X+2 and so on. I can't figure out change the convention so as to continue to progress upwards from whatever X currently is.

Does someone have the solution?

TY.
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:21 AM

O/S: Linux
I do not have a sure answer but all the batch renaming software I have used usually have a number of settings for naming conventions. Go to the source program and play with the settings but be aware you may get unwelcome results....