Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:51 AM

Problems with speed of Firefox

I'm running cable broadband. My IE(which I loathe to use)is running at about 1.8 Mbps, which is acceptable. My Firefox(which I vastly prefer)is running at an anemic 380 kbps. It's a new version of the browser, I just downloaded it a few hours ago, and I also downloaded fasterfox to go with it. What's the problem, and how can I fix it?

Scatman
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM

tools, options, connection settings

Is that set to auto-detect the proxy for the network?
On rare occassion, firefox may not load pages at max speed when it tries to use direct connection. It all depends on how your isp has it set up.
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM

It was on direct connect, I switched it to auto-detect. I also activated all of the speed tweaks suggested in Degsy's sticky at the top of the page. Now it's running at around 1.25 Mbps, which is a definite improvement. The max speed for my connection is 3 Mbps, so I'd like to get even more out of it if I can, but I can live with 1.25 if necessary.

Thanks for the tip. If you have any more, I'll take them.

Scatman