Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2019, 04:47 PM

windows 10 automatic backup

I have several questions regarding windows 10 automatic backup. I am looking for a way to automatically backup my files in the event of a computer crash like the one that happened to me last week. I do not want to use cloud storage for my files. My photos automatically back up to google photos so I’m not worried about them.

1. Does windows 10 automatic backup rewrite the files it copies or does it copy only new or modified documents? For example, If I have a file with 20-word documents and I add a new document or modify an existing document will the backup copy the files I have not modified therefore backing up all existing document or just the one I added or modified. The reason I ask is that the folders I am backing up contain hundreds of word documents.

2. Can I program windows 10 automatic backup to only backup my folders, photos and music, or does it back up the entire PC?

3. Do you recommend backing up the entire PC (whatever that means)?

4. Any opinion on backing up to an external hard drive or an internal hard drive?

5. Are there any alternatives to using windows 10 automatic backup that are FREE?

I plan on backing up my PC once a week. Any other info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Microsoft have said that the system image tool may not be maintained in future, so now may be a good time to make a full image of your system while you think about what incremental backup regime you will employ.

Take a look at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-m...kup-windows-10 for information on making an image file, also when you do this you will be prompted to make a recovery CD or DVD boot disk, so have a blank CD or DVD available as well as an external drive for the image. It will need to be formatted NTFS.

I made mine a couple of days ago and it took quite a while, so allow for that.

I guess others will comment and give ideas on incremental backup ideas.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
A full backup with this tool means that Windows 10 will make a copy of everything on your computer, including installation files, settings, apps, and all your files stored in the primary drive as well as those files stored in different locations.

As said; Backup and Restore is no longer a maintained feature on Windows 10. You can still use it, but in the future, it may stop working. Also, as a deprecated feature, the company can decide to remove this tool in future releases completely.

There are several good backup software programs out there, one of the better "Free" ones is;

https://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

I would look around and find one that meets your needs. But for now the built in one for Windows 10 works great.

Another god one:

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html
Old June 3rd, 2019, 01:29 AM

thanks for the info. When my PC is built I'll try using the windows backup.