Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 10th, 2015, 02:30 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Anyone ever used DriverDoc

The idea of one site updating all the drivers is appealing ,what are the drawbacks, if it was really good it would have been mentioned somewhere ,surely,my hunch is it's too good to be true. Am I wrong
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM

No.
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I've never heard of driver doc.

My opinion is that as long as things are working to suit you and you don't need a new feature available only through an update, don't mess with the drivers.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
SCAM to get you to buy this worthless program.
http://www.driverdoc.com/index.html

The complementary driver scan will only identify system drivers that need updating. The unregistered (trial version) version of DriverDoc will NOT download and update system drivers without product purchase / registration. Registration of DriverDoc unlocks all software features including the driver download feature. Product registration costs $39.95 USD and includes 1 year of software updates
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Drivers don't go bad. Most driver updates just add new support for new hardware - like new CPUs or GPUs that came out since the device was manufactured. Less often, they correct a bug that does not affect you. So if your hardware is working, the driver is too. As Miz says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only drivers I update semi-automatically is motherboard drivers, including the BIOS, when I install a new motherboard. Once updated, I don't update again just because a new driver is out there. If curious, I will check the change log to see if the update affects me - it typically does not.

I do update my graphics card drivers fairly regularly. But that is it. And note both AMD and NVIDIA have control panels that will yell at you if an update is available. You don't need yet another program taking up resources running to tell you something you don't need.

Many of those type programs will download and install beta versions of drivers which may or may not work. Not good.

I used to use Secunia PSI but I found Windows Update was actually faster at alerting me.

I have found the more you dink with Windows, the more it breaks.
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:55 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I was half hoping this driver site would cure my problem of Critical Structure error,somewhere I read the drivers are often to blame