Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM

Unhappy Gateway to hell

Hello up there, I am stuck in hell and would love to get to purgatory at least. I have a gateway solo notebook mod#9150. I took it to a repair shop because I was having problems with the font being stuck. Needless to say the guy cleared my computer completely. He kept it forever and couldn't do a thing to help. I just wanted it back because I was beginning to feel it was hopeless. The only thing that comes up on it is operating system not found invalid partition table. I called gateway and they said they can't sell me a restoration kit because of an agreement with microsoft after a one year time limit. The laptop was donated to my special ed class. I have a windows 98 disk to put on it, but the computer willnot take it. Any suggestions????????
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:07 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If I understand correctly, you took the laptop to a repair shop to fix a font problem and they gave it back to you with no operating system.

If that's the case, I'd take it back to the shop and demand they at least restore the operating system they removed.

If that's not an option, does the laptop have both a floppy drive and a CD drive? If so, you can boot with a boot disk (which you can make on any functioning Windows 98SE system or you can download a file that will make one for you from www.bootdisk.com), fdisk (re-partition) and format the drive, then install Win98.

A comprehensive guide to doing all that is on this page.
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi

Can't believe you have been ripped off by this repair shop.

Don't know where you are located but in the UK we have Trading Standards.

Personally I would report this store to them.

Cheers

Beanie
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, but for some reason the laptop is not responding. I got the fdisk and printed that page you said to go to and I am lost. How do I get my laptop to take commands in dos? It still says operating system not found. (thanks, pegster)