Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM

O/S: MacOS
XP fails to load

I got hacked the other day and someone tried to turn my box into an XDCC server. I thought I removed all the files, but I found a trojan last night called irc.floodbotx.backdoor that Norton did not detect, but Housecall did. As soon as Housecall cleaned it my DVD-Rom light came on like it was reading a disc, but there was no disc in the drive. I tried to eject and it's locked. I tried manual eject and it clicks like it is releasing the drive but it still won't open and the light still stays on steady like it's reading. Then I tried to reboot to see if it would resolve itself.

On reboot my system hung when detecting IDE drives for about 30 seconds before it finally found them. As soon as it found the drives the DVD light came on again like it was reading a disc and then boot froze as soon as the Windows XP splash screen came up.

I tried to get in to safe mode, but the same thing happened. I tried to access the XP repair tools from the disc and got a BSOD that stated XP setup was halted to prevent damaging the computer. There were no error codes or any other info.

I finally got into Windows by disconnecting my DVD drive and everything from boot to desktop went just fine. I tried reconnecting the drive to let Windows reinstall it, but it still froze the system at the XP splash screen.

Anyone got any ideas what may have happened or how to resolve it before I format and/or trash the drive?
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Disconnect the drive.
See if you can remove the Drive from Device Manager in SafeMode.

Then connect the drive and boot and see if it works.
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:51 PM

update bios

I've heard of this one and it's a nasty one that attacks the bios directly (if it's the same one.)
I'd do what degsy said, but right after you remove the drive from Device manager, go out to the web and update your bios. Also make sure you have the latest DVD drivers for your dvd rom while you're at it.
I'd then even suggest installing AVG to replace Norton if you're on a home comp. at the following link - http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
I've never had AVG not pick up a virus and have had multiple times when norton does not. Run em both on your comp and compare.
AFter you let AVG play around with your system and are comfortable... add the dvd rom back, installed with the new drivers (if any off the web), see what happens.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Thinking out loud...

I am wondering if you also have a variation of the download.trojan since it usually affects drives and such like whats happening with you?