Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2017, 07:17 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
DPC Watchdog Violation

Hi Everyone.

Hope you can help please? New Acer, Windows 10 Home 64bit 2016 Intel N3050 4gb ram.
Came with all the usual McaFee anti etc.
Started getting a freeze and then the DPC on a blue screen.
Various sites say check latest updates which I did when started using this new computer about a week ago.
The DPC doesn't seem to have a pattern of what might trigger it as Im still finding my way around 10 after being used to Vista for so long. I've uninstalled McaFee as other people I've spoken to with other systems say it can cause problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as its a bit of a peeve buying a new computer and then finding its got problems.

Many thanks in advance

Andy
Old March 10th, 2017, 08:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1st Windows 10 does not need any 3rd party Anti-Virus or Malware. Windows Defender built in has both Anti-Virus and Malware. Make sure it is enabled.

The below will depend on type of hard drive and what version of Windows 10 you have:

1. Left click Start>Control Panel>Windows Defender make sure it is on. Now run a scan as McAfee probably turned it off.

The DPC Watchdog Violation try this:

1. Navigate to Control Panel>Hardware>Sound and Device Manager or just Device Manager depending on which one you have.

2. Open the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section

3. Select the controller that says 'SATA AHCI', right click and select Properties

4. Select the Driver TAB and Driver Details. Make sure the driver is "iastor.sys". If it is, carry on. If it isn't, try another or move on to next step.

5. Select Update Driver Software, Browse and let me Pick from a list of devices.

6. Select "Standard SATA AHCI Controller' from the list and install

Once done reboot

If you do not have the SATA driver and the above doesn't pertain to your system as this mostly pertains to SSD drives, let us know.