Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
black screen after splash and windows screen

Hi all,

I am working on my backup PC and it has a black screen after it gets finished with the splash screen and the windows xp screen it goes to a black screen with the cursor on the screen which I can move. This happened after installing a windows update. I turned it off and windows said it would turn off automatically after it installed the updates. I have Dell Dimension 3000 with a Celeron at 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, memory speed 333 MHz, bus speed 533 MHz, and BIOS vers. AO2.

After pushing F12 I choose last known configuration and nothing happens but black screen. I choose safe mode and I get black screen with "safe mode" in all four corners of the monitor. At the top of the screen it displays "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_3_gdr.101209-1647: Service Pack...can't read the rest because "Safe Mode" is in the same place.

I have booted off of the installation disk and chose repair with no good results; still have black screen when I go to normal boot. I have tried the chkdsk /r after the c prompt with no results. I have taken the battery out for a few minutes, replaced it, with no good results. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Buzbo
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM

I have a question. When you go into safe mode do you get the screen that asks if you want to continue to safe mode or go to system restore? Pressing NO at that screen will skip the desktop and go directly to system restore where you may be able to restore to a point before the updates.

It seems you have tried everything I would, so it may be time to format and reinstall. Or move the drive to secondary and install to a new master to try and get back your data from the screwed up drive. Or you can sue MS for your time as well as pain and suffering.
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Thank you for your reply Appzalien. My poor PC won't go into safe mode. Maybe I wasn't quite clear about that. When I select safe mode, the next screen has "Safe Mode" in all four corners of the screen, but the rest of the screen is blank and never goes into a safe mode.

You mentioned moving my C drive to secondary and install a new OS from my installation disk...hmmm. I never thought of that. How would I do that. I am not that good at these things but I can follow directions and am willing to try new things.

I downloaded Ubuntu on a CD a couple of weeks ago to try and retrieve my files but after talking with other people they think Ubuntu is an overkill. They say there is other software out there that isn't really an OS but an application that can allow me to retrieve files. What is your opinion on this?

Buzbo

Last edited by buzbo; December 15th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:34 PM

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. When adding a new hard drive you need to either make sure the new one is jumpered as master and the old one changed to slave (ide drives) or setting the boot order in the bios to launch the new drive first (sata). But leaving the old drive out completely while installing your new OS is the safest way to prevent accidentally formating the wrong drive and losing your data. Then afterwards add back the old drive as a secondary or slave and check the boot order in the bios.

There are several versions of linux boot disks and even a windows live boot disk that can allow you to access your drive. Copying files can be a hassle though if there is nowhere to put them. If your live OS is in your only optical drive your only choices would be flash drive or external hard drive unless the live cd allows you to remove it after its loaded. In that case it would load itself to memory or a virtual memory section it loads on the drive itself. I have never used a live cd so I'm at a loss there.