Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:23 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Task image is corrupt or tampered with: User_Feed_Synchronization...

Hi all. This is my first post in this forum. Looks like a great one.

I have been working with the msconfig.exe program, trying to understand more about what is going on behind the scenes on my Toshiba laptop. I have tried to find out what Tasks are doing scheduled runs without my knowing - and consequently causing everything to slow down and sometimes lock-up when I least expected it.

So I have been looking at each item in the Task Scheduler to see if I can have these tasks run when I am not using the computer. And I created a spreadsheet that lists all of the scheduled tasks and the periods and times I have rescheduled them. That way I always know when a Task is about to run and I can close down any high use programs I may be using beforehand.

Now, when I launch the Computer Management Tool (compmgmet.msc) and click on the Task Scheduler icon to get an overall picture of what is going, I get this message: "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. User_Feed_Synchronization {A9571C59-5743-498E-8CD6-F93525FD935A}

I ran down one entry in the Active Tasks list that looked kind of strange: Task Name: {C2A2AaE2E-FDCD-49E2-9F66-F5869F8D038F}, Trigger: When task is created or modified. So I double-clicked on it to find out more and a screen came up with this entry and four other tasks I have re-scheduled: all related to the GoogleUpdater.exe program. The Action taken for this strange looking task is: C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe with this argument: -a C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_ATINB6203 .zip\ATINB6203\Setup.exe.

I did a Bing search on this program, pcalua.exe, and clicked on your forum for this topic. One of your members, beaverman, thought this might be spyware but the answers from other members seem to assure him this not his problem.

So can anyone give me some feedback on what is going on in my situation with this error message?

Thanks,

makelovenotwar
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
pcalua.exe is a genuine Microsoft program file, the Program Compatibility Assistant, provided the file resides in C:\Windows\System32

How to fix that Task Sheduler error:

Open the Task Scheduler.
On the View Menu, select the 'Show Hidden Tasks' option.
In the left side menu, select 'Task Scheduler Library'.
In the Center section, right click the 'User_Feed_Synchronization' task and select Delete.

Exit the Task Scheduler.

Next, select Start / Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.
In the command window, type the following command:

msfeedssync enable
Press ENTER.

This command will replace and refresh the 'User_Feed_Synchronization' task.

This will not affect the RSS Feeds you are currently subscribed to.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Hi pip22,

Thank you for your kind suggestions. I found User_Feed_Synchronization as you suggested, but I had no right-click action, nor did I have any double-click action (left-button). I did a search on "User_Feed" Explorer and found two entries, one in the System 32 file and one in the Tasks file in Windows. The file in Tasks was a ".job" program, in the gobbledy-gook program language in Notepad. So I went to the file in System 32 and opened it in Notepad. I could see all of its settings. I decided to copy this info into another Notepad file and save it, then I deleted this file into the Recycle bin. Then I restarted my computer and clicked on the Task Scheduler - I did not get the error message this time. But I figure this is a necessary file, so I restored the file from the Recycle bin, restarted my computer and the error message reappeared again.

Since I was able to open the User_Feed_Synchronization file with Notepad - is there any way that I can make changes here? Or should I just re-delete this file as I did and then follow your suggestions in the Command Prompt?

Thanks,

makelovenotwar
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hi Again pip22,

I went ahead and deleted the User_Feed_Synchronization file from System 32 and then I followed your suggestions in the Command Prompt. Then I restarted my computer and opened the Task Scheduler - and Voila! the Error Message did not reappear. I went down to the User_Feed_Synchronization entry in the middle pane and now it has a new number after the name. I went to the System 32 folder and the file has been restored. It looks like this is just what I wanted. Is this correct and did this fix this situation? Should I perform some kind of double-check to make sure everything is working properly? I would have never know this command in the Command Prompt window.

Thank you pip22,

makelovenotwar
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:25 AM

Lightbulb User_Feed_Synchronisation-{7D4F1739-50ED-4B2E-AAD6-D58DE49F3809}

Hi to all
I have followed each one of the suggestions from cyberhelp but I cannot find this key.
I have Revo Uninstaller and I am used to finding the Registry Keys I want and the last problem I found was similar to this one and I found it in Start Up, but not this time.
I do not use Task Scheduler - only the software that comes in.
I am determined to find this one.

Task Scheduler
The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.
User_Feed_Synchronisation-{7D4F1739-50ED-4B2E-AAD6-D58DE49F3809}

Are there anymore ideas for me to try?

trixipixB

Last edited by trixipixB; July 26th, 2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: misspelt a few words