Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM

The Phantom (moved from XP)

I am running Windows XP and I think Microsoft Word 2002 (I don’t know how to find the version). My problem is that when I start a Word document and want to change to legal size from letter size, it gives me a message saying: “Increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow in some sections having unevenly spaced columns”. When I click OK, it returns back to normal but still in letter format. It won’t let me change to legal size. Is something amiss with word? Any idea on how to fix this?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try doing a search (include hidden files) for normal.dot file and delete it.

To find out what version, click on help, about.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:23 AM

The only thing that came up after a search for normal.dot was a file named 2BAE14D4-0000071C.eml and it was deleted in May of last year. On further investigation of Word, I find that now I cannot make any changes to a Word Document without getting that same message “Increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow in some sections having unevenly spaced columns”. I wonder if this file is hidden, if it is, how do I search hidden files?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:35 AM

Hey, it's me again. I found out how to check hidden files and folders, which I did, and the same file 2BAE14D4-0000071C.eml is the only one that came up.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I am not sure what you are searching for but there should be a file called normal.dot. That file and only that file should be deleted. No other file. You can also go to help and click on detect and repair. You may need your office or word cd.
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Like you said; search (include hidden files) for normal.dot file and delete it. The file normal.dot did not show up on the search. The other file, 2BAE14D4-0000071C.eml, showed up in the search for normal.dot, but the information about it said that it was deleted in May of last year. If the search did not find it, I guess it, normal.dot, is not on my computer. Can you suggest something else?
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM

It's been a week and I guess nobody here can help me, so put this in your files so it may be used to help someone else who might have the same problem. The message, “Increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow in some sections having unevenly spaced columns” is actually somewhat bogus, so the solution may sound irrelevant, but go to the Format / Columns dialog and click on the One preset picture (even if 1 column is already selected). This will cause the "Equal column width" box to be checked, which should solve the problem.