Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Keep getting message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file....

Ok I need a lot of help. I have an XP Home Edition with SP3 and IE8. Recently, I think I may have contracted spyware, malware, or something of that nature because when I would go to the Internet, any site I clicked the link for would be redirected to some random and odd ads. Eventually, trying to remove whatever it was with AVG 8.5, Avast 4.0, and Spybot SnD, something strange started to happen. I would start Avast and Spybot, and at somepoint they would just close out and when I would try to reopen them, I would get a message saying this: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." So I searched and searched, I've changed my permissions over and over again in Safe Mode, but they just get changed again; I tried to add them to AVG exeptions but are not recognized for some reason; I've tried to delete something from the registry stupidly which now doesnt allow me run Avast; I've tried fixswen tool (fixswen.inf); I've even tried System Restore, but eventually the same problem still exists, plus the internet is still being redirected.

PLEASE HELP. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling the OS.

thank you
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
It definitely sounds like Malware is probably screwing with your system.
And for me, when it got that bad, the only thing that worked was deep cleaning it.

Which is something you can do by yourself, or pay someone else $80 - $150 to do it for you. I mean I know a place here that does it for $75.00, but it really just depends on how much of a money-grubber the owner is. LOL

But before you go threw all of that, have you tried just posting a HJT log??
Then maybe we could specifically see what Malware programs are causing you such grieve, and delete those specific programs without much hassle. =]

Hope that helps some...
xoxox Nami.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Thank you. I have never posted a HJT log before. But I get you one soon.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Make sure you post it here: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25

=)
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Ok. I have another problem. I can't run the HJT exe for the same reason. I put the program on my computer, renamed it, added it to exceptions list on AVG, but after it's finished, it disappears like Avast and Spybot, and when I try to run it again, I get the same message.
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM

ok i finally got the log after many attempts.
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM

hmm..
i'd direct you here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
but you've said you've already done those steps so maybe someone else can come up with another option for you but the only two i see is a Deep Clean if it's a Malware problem, and if it's an XP problem, then a completely reinstall....

I think a completely reinstall is a bit drastic though...
But the programs i'd tell you to use for a Deep Clean most likely won't even open for you. >_<
So you'd have to actually manually do it, which is something i dont recommend unless you know what you're doing. Because if you delete the wrong things from your registry/HDD, you could be doing a lot more damage then good.

Which means, you might have to spend the money to get a professional to do it.
I'd call around to different places though, because the prices are really varied, and you can find the best deal if you shop around =]

And for future precautions be careful what sites you visit and what you download.
Use Firefox instead of IE/Etc, and if you are even a LITTLE bit unsure of a program, run it in Sandboxie, which will protect your system from getting infected. =]

you can download Sandboxie here: www.sandboxie.com/
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM

No I finally got around the message and posted the HJT where you said. =)