Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Something wrong with the keying of letters

When I keyed in any letters in a Microsoft Word document, all the letters that appear don't match with the keypads that I pressed. For example, I press the letter "a", it shows as "k" and so are the rest. There is no such problem in Wordpad, Excel and e-mail application. I have uninstalled Microsoft package and re-installed but it did not help. Please advise me how shall I do to resolve this problem.

Thank you.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
which version of word?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Go to Tools>Language>Set language (that's Word 2000, other versions should be similar but, if not, poke around in the menus to find the Language option).

In the window that opens, make sure the language you want Word to use is selected and click the "Default" button.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM

The Words version is 2003. OK, I will try the method that you suggested and feedback to you at a later date.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

It's in the same place on Word 2003 also. I just checked to make sure, Miz.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM

I discovered that the main determinant is to switch from "Chinese (PRC)-Chinese simplified -US keyboard" to "English(US)-US keyboard" in the default input language setting under language option in Control Panel. Only when that is done and PC is rebooted, the keying of letters will revert to normal and OK.
But, when I selected English US as default input language, I cannot input Chinese characters. The Chinese characters will display as symbols. It seems that I need to switch to either one when necessary which is quite troublesome. In the past, there was no need to do so. I could write Chinese characters and key in English letters correctly in the same document. In this case, I will consult the salesman who sold me the Chinese writing tool when I visit the bookstore again. Until then, I will feedback again if there is any improvement.

Your method is still not enough to solve the problem unless you go to Control Panel and do a change.
Thank you.

Last edited by Fortunate; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Most of us already have that changed in control panel. The suggestions we gave were for Word only, if Word 2003 was not set to accept English language keys.

If changed in control panel, yes, what you said was true. However, if you bought a language converter to use chinese with word, then yes, you should talk to salemen if it's not doing what he said it would do.

I used to use a spanish program to convert English to Spanish but the converstion only worked in the program not in Word.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

Mine is Chinese writing tool, given with a pen and a writing board. Whatever I write in Chinese characters, the same will appear in the document. It is neither a translator nor a converter. Actually, if i choose "Chinese PRC - Chinese simplified - US keyboard", it should be OK because the words "US keyboard" is there. But, it does not work well now. It should allow me to write both Chinese characters and key in English letters in the same document.

Last edited by Fortunate; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I wonder whether a re-installation of Windows XP (using disc provided) will help to solve the language problem in Control Panel. Any comment?
Will re-installation of Win XP (without uninstall) clear away the files and documents that we stored in various applications?
Is it very necessary to update our Windows XP through the website regularly?
Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I had resolved the above problem by exploring and testing on my own. Below is the steps that may be helpful to some of you.

How to enable both the keying of English letters and the writing of Chinese characters in the same Word document?

Open the writing pad functione.g. 文通手写)first followed by the Word document.
Note that there is a small keyboard icon on the taskbar below.
Left click this icon à Select “Chinese (PRC)”. This is the most important determinant.

Right click the icon à Settings à Under the default input language, select “Chinese (PRC) – Chinese (Simplified) – US Keyboard à Apply and OK.
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

On my research I couldn't find that answer for you. I'm glad to see you took the initiative and found it yourself.

Thanks also for posting the answer. Now anyone else having the same problem will find the answer here at CTH.