Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Exclamation Outlook 2002 - Profile can not send/receive

I have been using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Pro. I have two mail profiles, one to an Exchange server I can access on a VPN, the other my personal POP account profile. The POP profile has been erroring the last 24 hours. Clicking the Send/Receive command returns the error, "The Operation Failed." If I close Outlook and re-open if usually crashes at the splash screen before the profile prompt. This even happens in Safe Mode. Task Manager reports Outlook as Running but it's unresponsive. I have to re-boot the system to get Outlook to re-launch correctly, but it still won't Send/Receive.

Other notes:
  • I have run Detect and Repair twice. It didn't fix the problem
  • I never have a problem when I use the Exchange mail profile on the VPN
  • I have received several "WMS Idle" errors when rebooting
  • I have disabled Windows Messaging Service with a tool I found via a link on this site (http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm)
  • If I go into the POP mail profile and test the settings they work fine
  • I recently installed MS OneNote 2007. This problem occured shortly after. Coincidence?
  • Every once in a while the POP profile works. I can't pinpoint what is triggering the error

Thanks in advance. This issue has been driving me bonkers!

Darrell
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM

Update - Additional Information

A new twist. If I leave Outlook idle while using my POP profile the problem seems to eventually self correct and Send/Receive works. The key is to not exit Outlook after receiving "The Operation Failed" error. If I exit it crashes during relaunch until I reboot the system.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM

Are you connected to the VPN when these problems occur?
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM

I am disconnected from the VPN when the problem occurs.

I spoke with a colleague today who was having the same problem. He also logs into the same VPN and thought the problem was triggered by logging in, then logging out of the VPN. However I still have the problem after a reboot before logging in, then out of the VPN.

My colleague solved the problem by purchasing a new laptop. :-/
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:41 AM

So...

Do I get a prize for stumping you all?

This is a vexing problem. I currently get the Operation Failed error when attempting to Send/Receive. I've learned that if I keep Outlook open it will eventually (and for no apparent reason) start working correctly again.

Wacky!
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
have you contacted the mail account host to see if the problem is with them. If its been working and then stopped without you dong anything, it more likely them.
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM

I thought of that but I have a second back up and have no problem sending/receiving from that PC, so it's not the mail account host.

The mystery continues...