Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM

exception oe

Hi I'm new here and as all first timers I'm in a bad way with my computer.

It all started when I tried to use my cd drive and got the following message

exception OE has occurred at 0028:03747CD4 in VxD ---. Called from 0028:C18281C0 in VxD scsi1hlp(03) + 00000510

On someones advice I used a boot up disc to restore my registry but this did not fix the problem and on second boot up I could not even load my full desktop before getting a new exception OE message:

0028:000100F1 in VxD ---, called from 0028:C18281C0 in VxD scsi1hlp(03) + 00000510

So I am now stuck with a computer I cannot boot up (may be able to start in safe mode). I have a whole load of business files on the hard drive that must be retrieved before reformatting the drive. I have been told that I could link my drive to another computer as a slave to save the files that way. I have anothe computer I can use but do not know how to do this - can anybody help with these problems?
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:39 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Windows ME has a system restore feature. See if you can boot into safe mode and try that. If I recall correctly, you can also reload ME without disturbing existing data files. You would have to reload applications and perhaps some drivers.

I have done just what you are considering but I don't remember the hardware or software configuration. Probably went like this, ensure new computer's HDD jumper setting is set to master and old HDD jumper is set to slave. Very likely that each hard drive has the various jumper settings printed on the drive. You likely will need to remove both drives to see the print. A standard IDE cable has three connectors, one for the motherboard and two at the other end of the cable for the HDDs. The last one will connect to the 'new' master, the next to last one to the 'old' slave. Make sure to connect power to each HDD. Remember the cable orientations

Shut down both computers and unplug the power cords. Open case. Touch unpainted metal on case before touching any component. Some cases are somewhat difficult to open and the design of some cases makes access to the mounting HDD screws difficult.

If you have important business data, consider taking the machine to a professional to transfer the data to a CD, DVD, or HDD