Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Two Problems when I startup Windows 98

Everytime I start my PC, as soon as Windows 98 stops loading all items and configuring my desktop, I always get an open window popping-up and displaying the contents of my C:\ drive... Why is this happening? How can I stop this? I don' think it may be a big issue, but it is very annoying to be closing this window all the time.

Furthermore, can anybody tell me what are the programs and/or services that really need to be running at startup? I have the feeling that my Startup Control Panel has too many items that are always executing themselves unnecessarily.

For perspective, these are the programs that run from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Run Registrey key:

-Adaptec DirectCD
-AtiPTA
-ccApp
-CriticalUpdate
-CTRegRun
-IntelSMAPL
-KodakCCS
-LoadPowerProfile
-LoadQM
-POINTER
-QAGENT
-QuickTime Task
-ScanRegistry
-StillImageMonitor
-Symantec Core LC
-Symantec NetDriver
-SystemTray
-TaskMonitor
-TkBellExe

...these are the programs that run from my Startup Folder:
-Billminder
-DataViz Inc Messenger
-HP OfficeJet T Series
-NkbMonitor.exe
-Quicken Startup

...and these are the system services that run at startup:

-ALU Scheduler Service
-ATIPOLAB
-ccEvtMgr
-ccSetMgr
-KB891711
-LoadPowerProfile
-Machine Debug Manager
-NPFMonitor
-SchedulingAgent

Do I really need all of this? Could this be the reason why my PC feels to be running too slow sometimes?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING OUT A REALLY NOVICE PC USER.
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. If you want to stop something from starting with windows at startup, you should use the msconfig utility and not edited the registry. I will assume these came from the msconfig utility?

...and these are the system services that run at startup:

-ALU Scheduler Service
Symantec Live Update Obviously you use Norton

-ATIPOLAB
ATI External Event Utility EXE Module. This task can comsume lots of CPU resournces on some computers, but it can help with graphics card problems. Leave enabled unless it consumes too many CPU resources

-ccEvtMgr
ccevtmgr.exe is a part of the Norton Internet Security Suite. This process acts as a logger for the AntiVirus and firewall application installed. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

-ccSetMgr
ccsetmgr.exe is part of Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus from Symantec Corporation

-KB891711
Its a Windows security update file protecting against a "Vulnerability in cursor and icon format handling could allow remote code execution". With the April 12, 2005 release of the file it runs as a service from the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices

-LoadPowerProfile
LoadPowerProfile is started twice to provide a power management profile before and after you log on to Windows. LoadPowerProfile starts as a machine service so that the default power management settings are available when Windows 98 starts. It is loaded again after you log on to Windows to process preferences for individual users of the computer

-Machine Debug Manager
Mdm.exe is the Machine Debug Manager, which is used by the Windows NT Option Pack and Microsoft Developer Studio to provide application debugging. When Script Debugging is enabled for Internet Explorer 4.0, the debug manager is initialized whenever Internet Explorer 4.0 is started. The Machine Debug Manager runs as a service and is loaded when your computer starts. If you do not use your computer for debugging purposes, you can safely turn off the Machine Debug Manager

-NPFMonitor
Norton Firewall Monitor

-SchedulingAgent
THIS COULD BE A Backdoor.Msic Trojan

It could also be a normal MS Scheduling Agent displayed as a box with a stopwatch in the System Tray that is only needed if you have regular scheduled disk defragmenting.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices]
Value Name: SchedulingAgent
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: mstask.exe

So before going further need to verify it is and get rid of it.

Run a scan and see if it is picked up by norton.
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Click Here to open a site with an alphabetic arrangement of all the items you listed in your post.

Once you determine what each is, you can decide whether you need it loading on startup.

It's best to disable "Load on startup" or "Start when Windows loads" or similar wording (depending on what terminology each program uses) from within the program itself. If it's there, it'll be under Preferences or Settings or Options (again, depending on the terminlogy each uses).

Also look on the Start menu under Startup. Delete any entries there you don't want loading on startup.

For all the rest, Start>Run, type msconfig, click OK and go to the Startup tab and uncheck them.
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:34 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Click Here To see my post on your C / Hard drive opening up on boot.