Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Unhappy A whole series of issues

Hello there, I hope someone here has seen this type of problem before, as no one seems to be able to figure out what is wrong with my computer, not even the windows phone help line I tried:

I run windows xp service pack 1 and internet explorer 6 (i'm pretty sure it's 6). For the past month my internet will no longer allow me to access hotmail, gmail, online bank accounts, msn... basically any secure downloading site. I called the internet explorer help line and they had me go through every "internet option" setting to make sure it was set correctly. (I did this twice as I called two separate times). I still had the same problem, and one phone operator suggested it was because I have windows service pack 1 and not 2, and by downloading 2 all my problems will fix themselves. But my internet will not allow me to download service pack 2 nor will it open the page I need to "order the cd". People I know are telling me my only solution is to reformat but if there is ANY way this can be fixed without having to reformat everything i'd prefer that!
My internet security is set to it's lowest and I don't have any firewalls set up any more that could be blocking me from opening these pages.
I think the probem began shortly after I stupidly downloaded kazaa... which I've tried again and again to delete from my system but the "add/remove program" program in the control pannel cannot get rid of it!
If anyone knows how I can fix this annoooying problem I appreciate your help immensely!
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
kt,
kazaa...you may end up doing a clean install, so before you go any further, backup or copy your important data to other media ie cdr/rw, zip or external harddrive, etc...

It sounds like the Java app may be corrupt.
Try uninstalling Java, then re-installing it, and then re-install your browser so it re-associates with the Java app. you can download Java here---> http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

If that doesnt solve your problem, you may have to do a "repair" of XP.
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM

thanks for the quick reply rb2, much appreciated. I uninstalled javaa but when I tried to reinstall it again via the link you provided a box came up saying my internet connection proxy settings wouldn't allow it, so I couldn't download. Also, how do I go about doing a "clean install"?
thanks very much for your time !
kt
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM

O/S: Linux
Have you tried to access the webpages in any other browers than IE? You could try using firefox before reinstalling
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Yes JoeC0180, I actually got firefox thinking this may have just been an explorer issue, but when I go to the exact same websites, while IE will just have a "page cannot be displayed" page, firefox will always pop up a little box that says "a connection was refused when attempting to contact loginet.passport.com".
Thanks for the input, though!
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. If Kazaa is running (which it probably is) you have to QUIT out of it before you can uninstall it. Since it's not a regular application but rather a background process, you have to go to the Task Manager to force it to quit:
• press Control-ALT-delete to go to the task Manager
• find Kazaa in the list, click on it to highlight it, click END PROCESS

2. Start | Settings | Control Panel

3. double-click Add/Remove Programs

4. Find KaZaa in the list, click on it to highlight it, click Remove.

5. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 with "b3d Projector",
"Medialoads" and "New.Net" (all software installed by Kazaa that has to be removed separately)

6. Make sure all the following have been deleted- if they haven't, delete them!
* C:\Program Files\Kazaa\
* C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\KaZaA\
* C:\Windows\Desktop\Kazaa Media Desktop.lnk
* C:\Windows\Desktop\My Shared Folder.lnk
* C:\Windows\Desktop\Kazaa Promotions.lnk
* C:\\Windows/System 32\cd_clint.dll

7. Now go to START | RUN and type in the following then hit OK

regedit

Clicking on the + signs navigate to the following keys and delete them:

* HKey_Current_User\Software\Kazaa
* HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Kazaa
* HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\KazaA\
Media Desktop_is1

8. Go to Start | Settings | Control Panels , double click on "Add/Remove Programs".

Select "b3D Projector" and click on the button "Change/Remove".
Next find the folder labeled "BDE". It will probably be in the "Windows" or "Winnt" folder. You can use the "Find" utility to search for this folder.
Inside the "BDE" folder is a program called "bdeclean.exe". Double click on this file to run it.
Use the "Find" utility to search for a folder called "Brilliant". If it is found, delete this folder.

9.The final step is also the most time consuming. There are nine more files that you will have to find and delete. They are:
bdedownloader.dll
bdedata2.dll
bdefdi.dll
bdeinsta2.dll
bdeinstall.exe
bdesecureinstall.cab
bdesecureinstall.exe
bdeverify.exe
bdeverify.dll

REBOOT

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Thank you for the tips Murf! But I think my computer may have more problems than I thought as I tried to follow every step you gave me but could only do a few.
Firstly my task manager only shows what I'm running right now, there's only one box, but I know on other computers when you press cntrl+alt+delete there are 3 tabs you can click: what you're doing right now, a list of programs running, and some kind of black and green graph or something like that. Mine doesn't even have a bar at the top for me to close it properly, i have to alt+f4 it any time I want to close it.

- "b3d Projector","Medialoads" and "New.Net" are not in my add/remove list, I think this is because a while ago in desperation I went through the program folders and deleted everything kazaa that the computer would allow me, but the bare bones of kazaa and it's forced-on add software "the best offers" I still could not remove from the add/remove list.

I could not locate:
* C:\Program Files\Kazaa\
* C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\KaZaA\
* C:\Windows\Desktop\Kazaa Media Desktop.lnk
* C:\Windows\Desktop\My Shared Folder.lnk
* C:\Windows\Desktop\Kazaa Promotions.lnk
* C:\\Windows/System 32\cd_clint.dll

which could be a good thing, as maybe I deleted them in my last purge.

the regedit worked perfectly except I couldn't locate:
* HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\KazaA\
Media Desktop_is1

But I managed to delete the other 2 you suggested.

-"b3D Projector" was not in my add/remove list. And I went to the BDE folder and while I found a BDEadmin and a list of other files I could not locate "bdeclean.exe"
- and my search utility could not locate "Brilliant" or the nine files:
bdedownloader.dll
bdedata2.dll
bdefdi.dll
bdeinsta2.dll
bdeinstall.exe
bdesecureinstall.cab
bdesecureinstall.exe
bdeverify.exe
bdeverify.dll
Though I had it search every hardrive I had just in case I'd accidentally shifted something somewhere somehow.

I think my problems run a lot deeper than I'd originally thought, and currently the barebones of kazaa 3.0 and "the best offers" are still refusing to let themselves be removed from my add/remove list. the latter opening a webpage stating as long as I have kazaa I must run it's advertising program, and the former stating with a red x:
Setup has experienced an error please do the following:
-close any running programs *((which i've done))*
-empty your temporary folders *((which I'd done before))*
-check your internet connection (internet-based setups) *((I'm unsure what to check for))*

Thanks for putting your time into helping me out though Murf, very much appreciated!

~ KT
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Follow the instructions in the following link..

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86677

Once you have finished, post a copy of your HiJackThis log in the Cyber Safety Forum (link to follow) and let the guru's there have a look at it..

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25

Murray
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks very much for the advice Murray, I've posted and now I'll wait and see what happens.
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Moved to Cyber Safety.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=102144
Closed Topic