Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Acer Laptop Wireless Problem

I have an Acer Travelmate 800 that doesn't have the recovery CD. I did a fresh installation of XP Pro (Legitimate) using NTFS instead of the stock FAT32. I downloaded all the drivers from the Acer website and installed them, except for the Platinum Plus because I don't have a smart card. I can't get Network Controller or Modem to work in device manager, so no wireless. I've tried to force install but no luck. I've tried the buttons on the front though I don't which does what. Wired LAN works as does a Netgear Super G card. Nothing on forum search. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Acer Travelmate 803LCI
1.6 ghz P-4 Mobile Centrino
512 Ram
60 gig HD
DVD burner
ATI Mobility 9000
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

According to the specs that system contains:
Network Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 10/100Base-T
Wireless-LAN Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
Internal Modem Intel AC97 Modem-on-Board

You can see if Acer has the drivers. If they don't have them, You may find the correct divers at the following links
Broadcom site
Intel NIC

Intel doesn't list an AC'97 modem, I've never heard of one either (but then again, there are alot of things I havent heard of)
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Right Chipset. Still doesn't work

Those are the same drivers I got off of Acers website with the same result. Once started it went through the paces of installation but seemed like it never finished. I installed the ESSID tool but it never found anything, neither did the Intel Pro V software. I know the module is still in place. Maybe it isn't working anymore. When I got it it supposedly worked. It works well with the Super G card. I'll never need the modem so I'll probably be OK. I just wanted it to work.

Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

Do they show up in device manager? do they have a yellow exclamation point next to them?
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM

They're in device manager with the yellow ?.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

My mistake, it should be a yellow question mark. sounds like the drivers didn't install right.

Try this, open device manager, right click on the devices, click uninstall, then reboot the system, Windows should pick the hardware up, and install the drivers, or ask where they are located if it can't find them on the system. Do this for each device seperately rather than all together.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Problem Solved

The adapter installed isn't an Intel Pro/ Wireless 2100 it's a 2200 BG. Once I got the drivers from Intel it came on instantly. I found out from Everest what it really was. Why I didn't double check that I don't know. I'll work on the modem problem but now I know the wireless works I not too worried about it.

Thanks for your help MaDef. You got me looking at this differently and that's what I needed. I hate tunnel vision.