Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Task Manager Disabled

Dear Friends

I have WinXP Pro, recently my kid bought a Games CD from his friend. There were many games on that CD some required installation while some played directly. on few instances the games got freeze and system hanged. Kids used the shortcut and pressed the reset buttons quiet a few times.

Now the system speed is tremedously slow and the TASKBAR is disabled

How do I reactivate the TASKBAR again. Even the services dosn't work.

Please suggest

Idris
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you hold down Windows key and 'E', you will goto the my computer screen. From the address bar you can select control panel. Go into there and find the task bar option, then reactivate the taskber from there using the options provided.

I would suggest finding out what is running on your machine, by going to 'RUN' and typing 'msconfig'. On the window that follows press the 'stratup' tab and look at the list. There are only about 5 to 10 primary services that should be running, any more and that is probably the reason why.

This may have something to do with the games that he installed, they may have features that run silently in the background.

It may also be worth checking the amount of space you have left too, as the depending on what games they are and your PC specifications, this could effect the speed at which it operates

If you need any help with the msconfig list please ask

Good Luck!
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Thankyou

But am sorry to state that nothing happens. I was able to open the browser but couldnt open any of the applications and msconfig also from the run command. No message - just nothing as if you are clicking on the dead application.

Old March 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
And it's reasons like those that most PCs keel over: the impatient PC novice.

Try loading Windows into Safe Mode first. However, there is another idea you can try: see if you can either create a new user account, or access the Administrator account. If the games installed affected your user account only, then it's possible that any new or existing account may still be okay.
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:47 AM

well i tried getting started the system to safe mode - but didnt help/work

I managed to installed "ccleaner.exe" using the force option from the properties it took some time to clear the lots of junk files, it also repaired the registery - it also uninstalled some of the program running in the background

but still i am unable to activate the taskbar or anyother application from the control panel

Please HELP
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:52 AM

Maby.....

Just a thought here...

Try to uninstall anything the kid put on the system. If you can't, then you might have a virus. So then you might try running a sweep.

Question: Where did the kids friend get the games from??