Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Outlook 2003, Multilanguage, Folder Name Problems

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP1 [all latest updates]
Office: 2003 Professional [all latest service packs & updates]
Language Packs: Windows and Office Japanese Language Packs installed

I am having an issue when switching between English and Japanese. For instance I will setup a system for a Japanese user. Their mail folders and public folders will come up in Japanese. Some people have requested to be switched to English. I set all the Windows and Office multilanguage/regional options back to English. Everything is fine except for Outlook. The folder names (on exchange server 5.5) are either ??? or still in Japanese.

I have tried to remove and reinstall language packs. I have tried changing default system fonts. Nothing seems to change the fonts back on the mail folders or the public folders. I have even tried bringing up the same profile on a system that never had the Language pack installed.

This seems like it might be an issue on the Exchange server? Is there anything else I should try on the users system?
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hello and welcome to CTH. Can't say I've had much call to look at language packs in Office/Outlook/Exchange.

If it is an issue on the Exchange server (and it seems that it is) can you test and see if a similar problem is exhibited when trying to switch an English system to Japanese?

There was an issue in Outlook 2000 (not sure if it still happens in 2003) that the message headers on a Japanese system still display in English but I doubt this is related.
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. English to Japanese works fine. The problem happens when switching back to English from Japanese. Once I try to switch back to English I am not able to get the folder names to come up in either English or Japanese. I need some way to 're-initialize' the folder names in the correct language.

I did try this on my own system for testing and my Public Folders are now called ???? when I switched back to English.