Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:25 AM

PTSNOOP.EXE & Country Selection?

Hi, I have noticed these 2 exe files in MSconfig on Win98se.
I disable them but they return on startup.
After reading a bit on the net about them Im confused. Some sites claim they are backdoor trojans, others claim they are legitimate progs for some type of modems?

They come up as: ptsnoop.exe and pctptt.exe
Are these malware/trojans etc or not?

Thanks

Last edited by dazpook; May 30th, 2005 at 11:27 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:59 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
HI,
Bellow are Quote's from a zip file i downloaded about startups. I hope it helps you.

pctptt.exe
Country selection for a PCtel HSP56 based modem. Often found in OEM (Dell,Compaq, HP, etc) systems for their modems included on the motherboard or as a separate card. Once you've set the modem up to the chosen country it's not required.

ptsnoop.exe
These descriptions I've come across - all valid as far as I can see :- (1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not required from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it (2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here for more info(3) Apparently the people who put it out claim it's a driver for a Voice modems (don't know who they are though - Ed) Note: If using AOL and you disable this you may lose your connection or lock up (4) Can also be an older Logitech scanner program. Remove from the Win.ini tab under Load='path'PTSNOOP and the System.ini tab under drivers='path'ptrtkr.drb. Can cause parallel port conflicts big time dragging system resources way down when a conflict exists (5) Allows audio monitoring of modem phone dialling tones and can be useful if you have connection problems (6) Karen Kenworthy's Snooper - "logs the start and stop time of all programs run under Windows".

Good Luke