Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Question Can't get past backup with SpyBot. When I click "Fix" it stops responding.

I searched carefully and didn't find any post regarding this problem I'm having with SpyBot. Please forgive me if I somehow overlooked it.

I also run AdAware 6 and the free version of AVG Anti-virus (both rock!) I read that SpyBot will find things that AdAware doesn't. So I happily downloaded SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3 version. It DID find 45 things (all red) that AdAware didn't find, and I had just finished running it!

I must have done something wrong along the way; because finding these things seems to be as far as it will take me.

I run the scan; uncheck things that I'm afraid to delete. (Should I get rid of ALL the red ones? I read somewhere that some of them may be ones I may want to keep.); created a "restore" backup.

Once I click on to create the backup, I wait, and wait, and WAIT. Finally it says I'm ready to "fix" and to click "YES" to continue. I click "YES" and SpyBot stops responding. I've done this several times and never get past this point.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, or how I can get the software to work correctly? Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling? Maybe this version is too new?? Have read wonderful things about this program, and I'd really like to use it. I didn't want to waste a lot of time with trial and error; so I thought I'd ask you nice folks for some advice first.

I don't know all that I should about my system; but I do know that I'm running WInXP Pro for an O/S; AMD Duron processor (6?); 997 MHz; 192 MB of RAM. (My computer guru friend borrowed some RAM to make my crappy onboard graphics card run faster.)

I usually run screaming to my friend for anything that I think is really serious; but I would like to learn enough to solve SOME problems myself so I don't have to bother him with the little stuff. Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Also-Are there any "must have" spyware or anti-virus programs that I should have too? I've read that some can be more harmful than the stuff they are claiming to protecting you from; and some are loaded with spyware themselves.

Val
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Val and welcome, look in recovery tab on spybot, it will make backups and store them there,

Also the things you have heard about some of the programs are true but if you go to the to the downlaod section here you will find tools highly recommended and are usually free and do quite a nice job of protecting your system. Go here and have a look http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12901
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the link. It was much appreciated. I will try to find the backups on the restore tab as was suggested. But I'm hoping that it will go forward from there. It stops responding once the backup is completed. So even if I find that backup; there is always the possibility of it freezing up again, the minute I hit the "fix" and "Yes" to continue. That's when it seems to quit on me.

I'll try what you recommended and I'll be back to let everyone know if that fixed my problem or not. Thanks again for your help! I'm hoping that this will do the trick.

Val
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:10 PM

This is NOT good! Now I have a DNS error on IE. I do remember seeing a message about a missing file, but I stupidly didn't write down what file was missing!! (Hitting myself in the head because I deserve it!)

I've tried everything I can think of to correct this problem; to the point where I'm confused beyond belief. I called my ISP for support. The tech there didn't fill me with a lot of confidence in his answer. He had me try some stuff which did nothing. I had done a few system restores to try and bring my system back to a time when I know things were good, which was his next recomendation. That didn't work either. He finally said, "Gee, I don't know what else to try. Sorry I can't help you."

After that I went screaming to my computer guru friends. They had me try to use "Firefox" by Mozilla as an alternate browser in an attempt to skirt around the problem IE was having. I think this didn't work because it uses asks for info from IE to transfer your favs and such. I think it just transferred the problem over along with the other stuff that I wanted.

My computer friends are telling me that the easiest way to "fix" the problem is to dump everything and start over. I really hate to do this, but they know much better than I do what is best. Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm still searching for solutions to try once I have everything backed up that I don't want to lose. Once all the "must keeps" are safe, then I can be braver about trying stuff without fear of making things worse and losing anything I need to keep. After all, what could be worse than dumping everything? At that point, it can't hurt to at least TRY to fix it before taking that final step.

I will report back if I find a solution with the DNS error on IE, if I should stumble on it. I've got a lot of printed tech stuff to sift through and try. Hopefully one of those pages in the pile will have the answer.