Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Installing a OS

I have a old dell desktop like from 2003 or 2005 maybe give or take, I had windows xp on it and tried to re-install it but was missing the network drivers (I had no idea wasn't my computer I should have checked first) now its expired, and i can't use the computer at all.

I'm not that good at installing OS systems, can some recommend a new FREE OS that will work on this thing and tell me how to get the Computer to install it once I put the disc in, I tried burning a OS to a blank disc then putting it in but nothing happens, I don't know how to do it manually so I just want someone to point me to the right direction, my goal is to just be able to access the internet on this thing I'll be good from there but i'm at a loss on how to restall a OS system on this without going to the store and buying one or something of that nature, and getting rid of this useless expired version of windows xp, I wouldnt mind Linux or anything really I just really wish it would auto-install once I put a disc in the tray, but I'm willing to do anything really if given the proper instructions on how to install it, I should be able to without much problem I'm pretty smart once I learn something I like to think.

I will follow any instructions given, it should be easy idk why im having so much trouble I just don't have the knowledge or time to figure this out right now by myself. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by NightmareComplx; December 12th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, I don't know the specs on your Dell desktop, but I have an IBM laptop of that vintage - had XP until the hard drive died; put in a new HD and increased the RAM to 512 MB - then installed the Ubuntu distro of Linux using a live CD w/ the burned iso image - check out the Directions HERE.

Now, there are many other ways to install a Linux distro as shown in the link and there are plenty of other Linux distros - I've used only Ubuntu. So see if the information provided can direct you, if not please reply back here for additional suggestions - good luck!
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareComplx View Post
I tried burning a OS to a blank disc then putting it in but nothing happens, I don't know how to do it manually so I just want someone to point me to the right direction
You probably have to set the bios to boot from the CD/DVD drive first. You can do this by going into the bios setup. To do this: When your computer starts hit the F1,F2, DEL, ESC. This will put you into the bios setup program. There you can navagate around. Set the CD drive to the first boot device. Save changes (usaully F10) and exit. Then try to boot from the CD.

Jim