Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Laptop Screen went black?

I have a Thinkpad 12.1 A22m laptop. My daughter didn't inform me that for the last week or so it was showing a red hue on the screen. Then last night it went black when she turned it on after showing the screen for 5-10 seconds from sleep mode. I did a full shut down and restart and it did the same for me with the resulting black screen. he screen when visible has a red hue to it. I hooked it up to an external monitor and the screen is wonderful and all aspects of the computer work.
Does anybody have a clue. Screen is just 2 years old. New system board within 6 mos.

I'm about to take it apart to check all the video connections and will post later. In the meanwhile I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
OK FYI !
I took the laptop apart and put in a new inverter put it all back together only to still have the same problem. after an exhausted search on line I boiled it down to the CC-FL bulb. I started looking into bulb providers and on one site it gave the exact description of my problem.
I also found directions to remove and replace the bulb which by the way is extremely fragile due it it's dimensions.
Here is the link http://www.lcdparts.net/ccfldetail.a...ctCCFL=MS20260

Now I did this removal process but was not so fortunate in taking the minute screws out that hold the frame work of the LCD screen. The screw stripped and I had to take my dremmel tool to it to grind down the head of the screw. It is now secured by packing tape. I also broke the bulb in it place as I tried to remove it because the frame work was not completely removed (my mistake) I ordered 2 bulbs at $9.95 apiece and I was on to a tantalizing repair mode.
I had to put on a new set of leads that had to be soldered and capped to protect the ends. That was not to bad . Then onto replacing it in the reflective sleeve. Did that, onto putting it all back together. Turn it on and nothing not light no screen!!
Took it apart again removed the bulb and turned it on and the bulb lit up. Turned it off removed all power supply Put the bulb back in turned it on and It lit up but no windows or startup screen just back-lit glass screen wit a slightly blue screen. Shut off, removed power, turned the screen over to find one of the LCD connections on the supply video ribbon was not securely in place there by completing the circuit. Snapped it in turned it on and OH BOY we got video.
To those of you who are willing to by a whole new screen for $150.00-$350.00 or more you can save your self some dough and do it yourself with a little patience and determination.
I hope this helps someone.