Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Upgrade From Linux Mint

I've just installed Linux Mint two days ago, and ran any updates that were available for it, today I boot up and find there's an upgarde for it, I believe it was to "Gibbon". So i ran the upgrade and it "fetched" everything needed then it told me I can't install the upgrade, saying something about Feisty! So I'm guessing that to do the upgrade I'd have to get Feisty (for the computer, not me personally LOL) before I can run the "Gibbon" upgrade, but how would I go about doing this?
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Dave, you're on Linux Mint Cassandra, is that correct? That's equivalent to Ubuntu Feisty. GutsyGibbon is the latest Ubuntu version, the step up from Feisty. The thing is, even though Linux Mint is basically using Ubuntu as its engine, there are a few differences, and with Mint you should ignore that upgrade. (Apparently it has made you ignore it, from what you say.) The proper way to upgrade would be to upgrade to Linux Mint Celena, or maybe Daryna if you were able to, I'm not sure. The Linux Mint forums would be the place to investigate. I only know that upgrading Mint through that message in Synaptic is a no-no; that's intended for "pure ubuntu" systems.

See the chart on this page; scroll down for it. That may give you a better idea of Mint versus Ubuntu than listening to me ramble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

Please also look below the chart and read "Comparison with Ubuntu."

Last edited by Harrie; November 18th, 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: To add something
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Yes it's Linux Mint Cassandra 3.0. How would I know if I can upgrade to either one that you suggest?

I find it rather confusing as to what can be downloaded/installed.
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You will get the hang of it quickly, Dave.

To me, installing programs on Linux is easier than Windows, really. Well...except those programs that aren't, and need to be compiled, etc. LOL. I mostly groan over those. But otherwise, I think using Synaptic is a breeze, and I like apt-get install from terminal even better! You may want to add repositories. Do a search with keywords like adding repositories - Feisty - Ubuntu.

Personally, I wouldn't think so much about upgrading at the moment. But that's up to you. I'm sure the Linux Mint forums is the best place to read about upgrading.