Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > MacOS

Notices

MacOS Problem solving for all MacOS versions

Topic Tools
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM

System Cache In Safari

Hi..I'm a new Mac user and have a MacBook Pro, 15", Core 2 Duo. Out of curiousity I was trying to see how much memory, or perhaps disk space, is allocated for web cache. My friend's PC is set to 20MB, and I was curious what the default amount is for Safari. I can't find how to determine that, and how to change if I wanted to. Any help appreciated. Thanks....Jim
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Download a little free tool called TinkerTool, launch it and under the Safari options check to show the Debug menu. Apply the settings and go back to Safari. In the newly visible Debug menu chose "Show Caches Window" that will show the size of the caches.

That will at least let you see them.
I'm not certain how to restrict them to a specific size. Generally they grow to meet your current session and preferences. Once you quit Safari the caches are cleared.
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:17 AM

Thanks, Scott, for the tip. I'll check TinkerTool out. Sometimes it's handy to lower the amount of cache in a PC, but maybe a Mac doesn't need that feature, or Apple doesn't want a user to mess with it. I'm learning the intricacies of a Mac, and liking what I find.....Jim
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Welcome to the Mac side, Jim.

I used to always set the cache levels back when IE was alive on Macs (Pre OS10.2), but I've not found the need for it with Safari or Firefox at all.