Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:35 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Question continuous XP Boot cycle

Hi, I have read many of the posts here re XP boot-up loop but have not found a solution that works for me.
System is XP Home SP2. When I boot up, it cycles through the boot XP or boot XP console screen, the HP splash screen, the XP screen, over and over.
I cannot start it in any mode. I have no flopply drive to boot from. I tried booting from the XP cd and it will not.
I did try the Recovery console and then get a blue screen saying "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.......

Then is says to disable, uninstall, various programs, run CHKDSK /F, etc.
I can't do any of the things it tells me to do because I can't get it to start it any way shape or form. The Technical information given is:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0X00190203, 0x82384CE8,0xC0000102,0x00000000)

Does that mean anything to anyone? A RAM problem?

I have tried removing the battery for a while.
I have tried attaching another hard drive with XP HOME SP 2 on it and booting from that.
I have tried booting from the XP CD.
I have checked the cards to ensure they are tight.

I can't just reformat the HD and reload XP as I have data on there that I need
and it seems that might not even be the problem...

Are there reasonably priced software programs that can recover data from an unbootable hard drive?

thanks, bevinb
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Welcome!

This one can be tricky, just to warn you. It sounds like this is a desktop, right? Is the PC you took the other hard drive from available? The following steps may not work.

First, try to enter the Recovery Console. As I mentioned, this may not work. If it does, type chkdsk /r and wait for it to complete and try again.

If you cannot enter the Recovery console, put that hard drive in your other computer (as slave if both drives are Parallel ATA (IDE). Boot from your XP CD and enter the Recovery Console again, but make sure you choose the good drive, not the bad one. Then, type chkdsk <driveletter>: /r. Replace <driveletter> with the letter of your bad drive, and make sure to include the colon. If you aren't sure, I believe you can type dir <suspected drive letter>: and see if the listed contents are correct. It may also show up as an option to enter that particular Windows installation.
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi rules View Post
Welcome!

This one can be tricky, just to warn you. It sounds like this is a desktop, right? Is the PC you took the other hard drive from available? The following steps may not work.

First, try to enter the Recovery Console. As I mentioned, this may not work. If it does, type chkdsk /r and wait for it to complete and try again.

If you cannot enter the Recovery console, put that hard drive in your other computer (as slave if both drives are Parallel ATA (IDE). Boot from your XP CD and enter the Recovery Console again, but make sure you choose the good drive, not the bad one. Then, type chkdsk <driveletter>: /r. Replace <driveletter> with the letter of your bad drive, and make sure to include the colon. If you aren't sure, I believe you can type dir <suspected drive letter>: and see if the listed contents are correct. It may also show up as an option to enter that particular Windows installation.
Hi, I can get into recovery console. but then it list the two options as
1: H:\MiniNT
2: H:\I386

What happened to C:\Windows?
So not sure what to do there...but more about it:

It is a desktop, yes. I'm a little confused as to which hard drive you mean by "that"? Put the non-working drive in the other PC? Problem is the other PC has IDE drive and this new (non-working one) has SATA drive - at any rate the cable ends/connectors are not the same so I can't install it in the other working PC. As I said I tried installing that working drive in the non-working PC - as a master and a slave - as there were cables in the new PC that fit - the added drive appeared in the boot menu, but if I selected it as the boot device I still got the same results. But maybe it didn't work as it is SATA? Don't know enough about that.....

thanks, Bevin
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Just some more information- I did the CHKDSK /R on both and #2 seems like it is the windows, it did find and repair some errors. But still the same result when a reboot is tried!

Thanks again, bevinb
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Hi, I can get into recovery console. but then it list the two options as
1: H:\MiniNT
2: H:\I386
Are you in the Recovery Console with both drives, or just the bad drive? If you are in it with both drives installed, unplug the "good drive" and try again. I don't think either of those is the Windows installation.

Quote:
As I said I tried installing that working drive in the non-working PC - as a master and a slave - as there were cables in the new PC that fit - the added drive appeared in the boot menu, but if I selected it as the boot device I still got the same results. But maybe it didn't work as it is SATA? Don't know enough about that.....
If there is one drive with a corrupt ntfs.sys file I believe the PC won't boot unless the drive is disconnected. However, trying to boot from a hard drive that comes from a different computer is bound to give you other errors since it is configured with drivers for the other computer. I would not recommend trying it.
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Success! My PC came with no CD - you have to make your own - and HP leaves a recovery partition on the HD. I decided to reload XP and once I got to the place where it shows the partitions I discovered this. So I loaded XP onto that partition and it worked, then when installed my other partition was there with all the data accessible!

So thanks for all the ideas, I learned quite a bit, but most of all I am relieved!
bevinb
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's good that it works. You may run into an "Access Denied" error. If you do, you have to take "ownership" of those files/folders. Microsoft has instructions here