Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thumbs up Friday - DROPOUTS

I am running XP/SP2.

On Friday last when I logged on to my ADSL broadband all was fine, then after about an hour the connection dropped out. I could reconnect, but all day it intermittently dropped out at all different time spans. I rang my ISP - they spent over two hours troubleshooting with me on the phone doing what I was advised to do. They came up with the fact that they had upgraded their line service to there customers and for me to take advantage of those upgrades I would need to upgrade the DRIVERS on my D-Link 200 ADSL MODEM. They sent me the upgraded Drivers via my email, but with their guidance and after uninstalling the existing drivers from 'Add and Remove' the new drivers would not install.

I was then told to ring D-Link and tell them of my problem and ask for help to install the upgraded drivers using the software sent to my by my ISP. The technician at my ISP then guided me to reinstall my original drivers so at least I could get onto the internet until I could get help from D-Link. As it was late in the day, I decided to do this on Saturday morning/yesterday. So I booted up yesterday, was able to connect to the internet, and for 15 hours until I logged off I did not loose connection to the net. Not a thing went wrong. So of course I did not ring D-Link, there was no reason for the call. My question is - Why did this happen?
Also this morning/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday not a problem. If someone could offer an explanation for this mystery I would be most grateful.
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Welcome to CTH tallin

It's a wierd one this, I've asked a guy who work on ADSL at the telephone exchange and his answer is as follows, how much it rings (no pun intended) true, I don't know -sounds feasible though.

"Network equipment drivers are generally pretty old when you get them on a cd. Your local exchange may have been perfectly happy when they were first installed.
Broadband transmission is constantly undergoing change, to squeeze more and more data from the exchange to your house. The "last mile" copper loop is always the weakest link in the chain.
Tweaks being applied to exchange equipment may or may not affect your ltu equipment (to me and you - the bits in your house) - however (and he stressed it's a big HOWEVER) with current rates of development, it is worth visiting the manufacturers website and downloading driver updates on a regular basis (when pressed, he suggested every 8 - 10 weeks)."

He's been in the job for 20 odd years, so I tend to believe what he tells me - except when he's had a few too many jars, then he can spin them out a bit
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Great service Snurfen.thanks all he way from OZ
Still no other promblems since last Friday, and it is now Wednesday morning here. Still have the original drivers installed, but have dowloaded and saved the updated drivers if things go wrong. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' are my thoughts at the moment. I guess if I have a further problem I will be onto D-Link in a hurry. You agree with that?
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM

Back again -

Snurfen,
You wouldn't believe it, but not long after I posted my last post to you, I dropped out again - (I tried to reconnect several times without success) I was aware after checking ADSL status yesterday that TPG (my ISP) were doing work on the lines over night last night.

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the original D-Link CD and am up and running once again. While I was off line I checked to see if I could install the new drivers I had downloaded from the D-link web site, but no they would not install.

I was all ready to ring D-Link for help as advised by my ISP, but as I am still connected I wonder what I should do next?