Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Fans turn on before I turn on the computer

Okay, so first let me just say that i move my computer alot. I take it to my friends, so we can play games.

Recently, whenever i unplug the computer, then re-plug it back in at mine, or my friends house it acts all funky. As soon as the power cord is plugged into both the back of the computer, and the serge protector the fans turn on. Then after a few minutes the fans shut themselves off, and i can then push the power button to turn on the computer.

I've opened up the case, and have tried unplugging/taking out, and re-putting back in the video card, sound card, hard drive, and the cd-rom drive. After reinstalling the hardware, the computer still does that exact same thing.

What could be the problem?
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Ensure you Shutdown the PC and turn off the power switch at the back (on the power supply unit) before you unplug it.
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM

It's acting different this time

I'd try what you said, but right now it's being different. Last night i plugged in the power, and hooked everything up, and this morning the fans are still running (havn't turned on the computer). This is the first time it's gone for this long. Is something else wrong with it now?
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
What are the fans plugged in to for power?
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Does the psu have an on/off switch? If it does then there is a problem with the psu. if it does not, then the problem is with the mobo and I would not leave it on plugged in at all, as this could get serious.
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:04 AM

The psu has a on/off switch right below the power cord. So, if i replace the psu, then my computer should/might start working again?
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Banned

With the switch off, which is to the "o" near the switch, do the fans still run?