Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM

netoworking a printer

hi
i have recently set up an internet connection for myself and another computer - there is a free standing livebox and both computers have a wireless network adapter connecting the computers to the internet through the livebox
in the bottom right corner of my screen, there is a picture of 1 computer with signals coming out of it - this is the internet connection
there is also another picture of two computers wiht a red X next to them - this is the local area connecting - which is said to be unplugged - how do i get this network running so that i can share files with the other computer
i would also like to network the printer connect to this computer to the other one - how do i do so

please reply asap
many thanks,
jdaman12
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM

hello is there anybody there who can help me????
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
What operating systems are on the PC's? If they are windows xp, goto start, settings, network connections.
Once that opens click setup a home or small office network and follow the instructions. At the end it will ask you if you want to make a disk or whatever, just say finish the wizard.

Do that on both computers. reboot both machines.

On the computer that your printer is connected to, you need to "share" the printer. You can do this by going to start,settings, printers.
right click over the printer you wish to share and click sharing. click share this printer.

now goto your other pc and click start,settings,printers. click add a printer. then click next. click "A Network printer" then click browse click next, locate your printer and then finish the wizard.

to share certain files or folders, you can right click over the folders and click sharing, and then click share this.... you can choose what the name is and whether you want the other users to be able to change your files (if you dont check this box your share will be read only)

this should get you goig. try that and see whats up
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by apristel
What operating systems are on the PC's? If they are windows xp, goto start, settings, network connections.
Once that opens click setup a home or small office network and follow the instructions. At the end it will ask you if you want to make a disk or whatever, just say finish the wizard.

Do that on both computers. reboot both machines.

On the computer that your printer is connected to, you need to "share" the printer. You can do this by going to start,settings, printers.
right click over the printer you wish to share and click sharing. click share this printer.

now goto your other pc and click start,settings,printers. click add a printer. then click next. click "A Network printer" then click browse click next, locate your printer and then finish the wizard.

to share certain files or folders, you can right click over the folders and click sharing, and then click share this.... you can choose what the name is and whether you want the other users to be able to change your files (if you dont check this box your share will be read only)

this should get you goig. try that and see whats up
I'd skip the part of apristel's post I highligted in red, as it seems you have the basic networking piece set up. But the rest of the post seems on the money. If you want detailed instructions I can point you to a MS doc that covers it.

BTW - I'm guessing the your PC has a wired ethernet card in it and that is why you see the the icon with the x in the task bar. You can ignore it or disable the interface if your not using it.
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM

i do this but when i browse for a printer on the other computer - all that comes up in the list is "microsoft windows network" - and when i click on that and click 'next' i am told to specify a valid printer name
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Thats why i wanted you to run the network configuration wizard, so it puts your machines in the same workgroup (mshome by default). On your pc's goto your windows firewall, click the exceptions tab, make sure file and print sharing are checked.

do this from the computer without the printer. - When you goto Network Places, click show all computers in workgroup, double click on the pc with the printer, you should see an icon that says printers.. double click it and then double click the printer. If you cannot see the computer or printer try rebooting both machines.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:22 PM

hi
could you start from the beginning and tell me what to do from the start - because i set up a home network and i cant see any sign of it being on - i still cant see the printer on the list and i cant see where im supposed to "click show all computers in workgroup, double click on the pc with the printer, you should see an icon that says printers.. double click it and then double click the printer"
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Go back to my first post and do the network wizard on both machines. Make sure you put the machines in the same workgroup.

After you run the wizard, Read these!

Here's how to share the printer as I explained eariler...maybe they describe it easier here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ntershare.mspx

Share Files/Folders
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...lesharing.mspx

See if this stuff makes sense. -Adam
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM

this all works up until the point where i have to search for a printer on the computer without the printer - but my computer doesnt appear on the list - however, if i click add a printer on my computer (the one wiht the printer attatched to it), i can see the other computers name on it
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
what versions of windows are you running?
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM

dont worry apristel has fixed the problem

its windows xp professional if u wanted to know

thanks

jdaman12
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM

hi again...

my file sharing isnt working on shared flies

when i click on the files for the other computer shown on my computer it says that i do not have permission to view those files and vice verca
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Do you have the folders that the files are in enabled for sharing?
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Did this happen once you re-enabled your wanadoo firewall? Try disabling it.
192.168.1.1 admin admin

It was his Zonealarm firewall blocking the share.

Last edited by apristel; January 13th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM

ok im done thanks a lot