Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 16th, 2018, 02:00 AM

Hdd drive locked, can't access

I have win 10 on i-7 ASUS MB a Crucial SSD with an external USB backup drive. I had a crash and rebooted fine but when I shut it down, I could not boot up afterwards, I used a USB repair stick to successfully boot up. After which I shut down normally, and then I could not boot again. I then used a DVD Win10 recovery disk and it worked again. Again after a normal shut down, I could not boot up again. I followed your instructions and downloaded RUFUS and formatted a 32 Gig USB and installed the Win 10 ISO. I booted from it and got an error the drive is locked, unlock and try again. I tried to follow a You Tube video but when I boot up, it doesn't do anything and I can't get to the repair option. I wonder if I should pull the drive and then install in a HDD dock on another computer and try to unlock it I got the feeling the problem might not just be the drive being locked as I noticed my drives come and go in the EUFI BIOS, not sure why that is happening. This includes my DVD player. Need a bit of guidance. I was thinking I could not active the SSD plugged into a Dock without messing up the active partition on the other computer?

Last edited by Rwhunt99; November 16th, 2018 at 02:02 AM. Reason: add info
Old November 16th, 2018, 02:53 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Use the USB and try and boot up again then:

Need to get into Recovery Environment from the Login Screen click SHUTDOWN and hold down the SHIFT key while selecting RESTART

If you get into Windows 10 then you can also access Recovery:

Start>Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>under Advanced startup, click Restart now.

Once in Recovery mode:

Click on Troubleshoot>Advance Options>Command Prompt
Type this command: bootrec/FixMbr (<enter>)
Type this command: bootrec /Fixboot (<enter>)
Type this command: bootrec /ScanOs (<enter>)
Type this command: bootrec /RebuildBcd (<enter>)

Remove the USB and type Exit, then reboot
Old November 16th, 2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks, I'll try that, but I am concerned about the crash and what made it happen, the disappearance of the drives (all of them) makes me wonder if the MB is failing, it is about 4years old, When the system doesn't recognize the drives, I won't be able to access them. I am wondering if that is why at times I can access and other times, especially after rebooting, I can't. That is why I used different media. Is there any way I can run a diagnostic or program to check, it seems like all the SATA drives are the ones affected. I first noticed this as I recently updated the SSD (boot drive) to a larger one and shifted the smaller one to another use. It seemed to run great with only an occasional random crash.
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Well - the latest :

I removed all the drives except the boot drive and the dvd and managed to boot into the recovery drive and into the advanced section and used the command prompt to create a new partition, formatted and made a couple of directories, I then went into those directories and tried to do the bootrec /fixboot command and it returned with an error - the system cannot find the file specified. so now I'm stuck again in trying to make active the boot drive which is locked and I can't get into windows. What next?