Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:28 PM

Replacing laptop HDD

I'm trying to replace a failing HDD on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I got a new HDD (Seagate)and I wanted to install windows, but it wouldn't recognize the HDD. I took it and put it in a HHD dock and plugged into my desktop and even though the tone that a USB was plugged in and the installed device driver window pop up was displayed, there was no HDD displayed in file manager. I looked in printers and devices and it showed up but when I clicked on it, it indicated there was an error and the trouble shooter couldn't help. I'm thinking it is DOA but not sure. I don't think I have to do anything else, the motherboard should still recognize the HDD even if it has no information on it, right?
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:57 AM

BIOS should still be able recognize the drive even if its empty. If the drive is not detected in your laptop's BIOS then it's probably a dead drive or the LBA of that new drive is not compatible with your current system BIOS version.
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
even though the tone that a USB was plugged in and the installed device driver window pop up was displayed, there was no HDD displayed in file manager.
That only indicates the USB docking station's USB interface was recognized - not the drive within.

I personally believe that USB is too unreliable to be used for storage - even USB 3.0 and that really irritates me because 3.0 was supposed to fix the problems 2.0 failed to fix in 1.0.

If me, I would install that drive into another computer as a secondary drive (NOT the boot drive) and see if the system sees it. If not, the drive is bad.
Old August 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks, I am not used to getting bad drives so I was wondering if I had to do something for the bios to recognize it or something. I have already sent it back and am expecting a replacement now.
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I am not used to getting bad drives so I was wondering if I had to do something for the bios to recognize it or something.
It is not normal but until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be pre-mature failures.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I know it is a bit late but did you check disk management? sometimes you have to assign a drive letter in disk management before it will appear in the file manager.