Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2002, 12:29 AM

Changing file extensions????

I am a very new person to all of this and am trying to find out exactly how to change a file extension. I have scanned pictures that I need to change from .BMP and am not sure how to do it. Please help, in laymens terms. Also, I have a floppy disk that I used to be able to access but now when I go into it all I see is some squares and nothing that makes any sense. Since I last used the floppy I updated my Norton AntiVirus, could this be the problem? Thanks
Old July 12th, 2002, 01:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi ween1123 - what graphics program do you have. A very nice free one that is very easy to use is IrfanView. All you have to do is to open your picture in IrfanView and choose Save As. It will give you a number of options. Most other programs will do the same. If you want to try IrfanView you can download it and the plugins from here.

What was on your floppy? eg Word docs, jpeg files? It might be corrupted.
Old July 12th, 2002, 01:28 AM

Hi AnnMarie:
Thank you for the Irfanview info. I will download it and try to figure it out. As I said , I am really new at all of this computer stuff, but I'm trying.
The floppy disk had a resume in Word that I copied to my hard drive a while ago. Now all of a sudden, I can't open it up.?????
My photos were scanned in using a Lexmark 73 and its software. I'm not sure this is the info you requested. Thanks for your help.
Old July 12th, 2002, 01:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again ween1123 - I think you will like IrfanView, its really easy to use but if you have any problems, post back.

It sounds as though your .doc file is corrupted however Word does have an option to recover text from any file. Click on Open again in Word and look at a box at the bottom that says "Files of type" Open the drop down list and select "Recover Text From Any File". if it works, you will lose your formatting but it could save a lot of retyping. Good luck
Old July 12th, 2002, 02:13 AM

AnnMarie

I did download Irfanview and will have to play with it for a while. . The resume is correct on my hard drive, its just the disk that has the problem. ???????

Thanks again
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

Well, as long as you have a good copy. It could be a problem with either the floppy or the file. Chuck it away and try copying the file to a new one.