Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:43 AM

linux partition

i'm an idiot. i am wanting to dual boot suse 9.2, which i alrady hav installed, and xp pro. which i installed AFTER suse.

now i realized that the boot loader mount point is still set to "/" nd it needs to be at "windows/c" or whatever.

how can i access and write to my linux partition without formatting? or do i have to again?

thanks
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

I don't know what someone else is going to tell you but I am going to say this: It is so much easier to just use Linux. However, if you want to dual boot, in my experiences of fomats, re-formatting, installing, re-installing, breaking and re-breaking my distro, I have found it less of a hassle to install Windows FIRST, then install whatever other OS you may have a use for. Windows always wants to be the big dog in the pack when writing to the MBR and will punish you severely if you don't. I have not found a workaround for that yet but I do believe one exists if you want to just boot linux from a diskette. (But don't ask me to quote that under pressure because I am not sure of the particulars.) If you install your windows OS first, on whatever partition you like, then install your Linux OS and write your grub or lilo to the MBR then grub/lilo will recognize your other OS upon boot, giving you a choice of which OS you would like to boot. You can even mount your NTFS drive under linux to share files. If you have two hard drives installed then it would be to your advantage to install one OS on the first and the second on the other, in a perfect world of course. But if not, then create your partitions accordingly and install away and you won't have any problems with your installations as far as OS recognition at boot time.

Also, click here. Some people swear by boot loaders/managers, if I am using that term correctly. Um....I don't use them. I don't want to pay for extra software when I can spend my money on high tech graphic cards or extra memory. I hope this helps you get back on track if you haven't already.

Quote:
i'm an idiot. i am wanting to dual boot suse 9.2, which i alrady hav installed, and xp pro. which i installed AFTER suse.
It is called the learning process. You are not an idiot, unless your drool gets in the way of typing, then maybe you might have issues. But never an idiot.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM

Windows first, Linux after

SirCave is absolutely correct. You should always install Windows first to avoid unnecessary complications. I don't use Suse, but I know that in Redhat distributions ( Redhat or Fedora ), if Windows is already present when you do the install, anaconda will detect it and the primary boot sector and set up the dual boot for you using either Grub or Lilo. If Windows is not present, I'm not sure if the dual boot can be accomplished. Perhaps another member could tell you this.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCave
[color=blue
It is called the learning process. You are not an idiot, unless your drool gets in the way of typing, then maybe you might have issues. But never an idiot.[/color]
haha... lets hope it doesnt come to that...

i know about how windows likes to be the big dog, that's expected... i just forgotted.. haha

what i ended up doing was formatting the ntfs partition and using knoppix to copy the files i needed from my "unusable linux" to my external hdd... and now (as i speak actually) i am formatting and installing windows xp...

Quote:
It is so much easier to just use Linux.
hats off to that line. i wish it was that simple. but until macromedia releases a linux version of studio mx 2004, i have that little need for billy gates and his monopoly.

i am using studio mx (not mx2004) in wine, which works OK, but the windows versions are so much nicer.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM

O/S: Linux
if i am reading your post correctly, all you had to do was boot up with a boot disk and re-install the bootloader.

if lilo,
1. mount your linux system
2. edit your /etc/liloconf accordingly.
3. chroot to your mounted system
4. execute lilo

reboot and you should be as good as gold.

works for me everytime.
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
but until macromedia releases a linux version of studio mx 2004, i have that little need for billy gates and his monopoly.

i am using studio mx (not mx2004) in wine, which works OK, but the windows versions are so much nicer.

I am not mad at cha partner. Glad you got it going.