Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM

Question Is it smart to set my computer to turn off my hard drive and go into standby?

Is it smart to set my computer to turn off my hard drive and go into standby? Here's what I'm talking about. I right click on my desktop and go to properties/screensavers/power. What should I set my power scheme as?

Also I notice that when I open up my properties from right clicking on my desktop it's a little slow opening also lot of programs are slow. I defraged and used cleanup to clean my pc of files. Anyone know a way to speed it up? I have 640mb ram so I think I'm safe to say it's not my ram. If you want I'll post a hijack this log. But I'm sure it's clean.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Power Schemes=Always on
Turn off Monitor...if not in use....your choice of time.
Turn off Hard Drive=Never
Standby= Never, as I have know some not to wake up.

Its up to you but these are my settings.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
My settings are the same as Pancake's except I have the monitor set to "Never" as well. I do shut all my computers down at night since our small-town power isn't all that reliable and the beeping of the battery backup wakes me up.

As far as system performance, use the guide on Black Viper's site to turn off XP's unncessary services. Use the settings in the "Safe" column. It's a little tedious but well worth it in terms of better system performance and online security.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:41 AM

Thanks Miz and Pancake.

Miz, I use black vipers site and cleaned up my services that I thought I wouldn't use. Thanks.

It takes 6 seconds to open my properties now. I fixed the problem. It was a program that was running. I hope 6 seconds is normal.

Last edited by taichimaster; February 22nd, 2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichimaster
Thanks Miz and Pancake.

Miz, I use black vipers site and cleaned up my services that I thought I wouldn't use. Thanks.

It takes 6 seconds to open my properties now. I fixed the problem. It was a program that was running. I hope 6 seconds is normal.
Hmmm, mine is 6 seconds too. My CPU is overclocked and I have 1GB of RAM. I would think it would open up faster than that. Oh well,doesn't matter.