Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 8
Windows 8 compatible with windows 7 machines

I have not been able to find an answer to the question of whether a new Laptop with windows 8 with be compatible with the homegrouping or networking of my other windows 7 laptop and desktop. Are there any known issues with this?
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Don't see why it wouldn't. Windows 7 and Windows 8 both have the ability to join a Homegroup. Vista and older MS Operating Systems can connect to a Windows 8 machine, however, only through Workgroup Settings, which require a separate configuration setting in the System section of your control panel.

Just navigate to the Network and Sharing section of the Control Panel. Write down, or copy and paste the password, because the other machines need it to join the Homegroup. Incidentally, this is fundamentally different from a Workgroup where no passwords are involved at this stage.

Once you establish/create the Homegroup, the other users fire up their Control Panels, navigate to the Network and Internet folder and join the Homegroup using the password from the first computer.

Incidentally, unlike a Workgroup there is no ten-user restriction on the size of a Homegroup.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
My laptop runs Win7 and my tower runs Win8. Both have connected to each other, shared files over Home Group, sycronized with SkyDrive, etc...
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 8
Thank you for the replies. I have since purchased my new laptop and it works fine with my other computers. It has been interesting, though, trying to figure out Windows 8! Why can't they just leave well-enough alone??
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM

hi... friends

The minimum system requirements for Windows 8 are pretty accommodating. Microsoft says that if your computer can run Windows 7, it'll be able to run Windows 8.

Even if you're running an older system, chances are it'll meet these basic system requirements :

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
Memory: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit) RAM
Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
--------------
john
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:04 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Johnsonmaddy

I have to ask, your post is really irrelevant to the members question. The question dealt with home grouping, not Windows 8 compatibility.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM

if you seems my posting is irrelevant to member function....you can try this posting.......

The Windows 8 also supports HomeGroups and come with a latest configuration interface under PC setting. Scroll down to HomeGroup and you resolve exist presented with a screen anywhere you can turn on or off various sharing option.Windows 8 machine to your homegroup, make sure that machine is connected to the same computer you use to build the homegroup. This way both machines are wireless linked to the similar router , machine to be connected to the homegroup, first open Control Panel>Network and Internet>HomeGroup.The HomeGroup window must show that an presented homegroup will be open.now Click on Join, and then click Next. choose the folders you want this computer to sharing with extra members of the homegroup. Now Click Next. Enter the password that will be generated automatically (when homegroup will be firstly created.again.click Next. Then Windows will verify that you are connected the homegroup.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

hey ......... friend

If you are running window 7 on your laptop or desktop computer, you can buy an upgrade to the Pro version of Windows 8 for a simple £24.99.
Microsoft appear to be almost all users towards the Pro edition, as the regular Windows 8 version . It's likely that this version will be more prominent on new Windows 8 PCs.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Angry Windows 8 compatible with windows 7 machines

hey ..............friend,