Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM

Weird multiple hard drive failures?

and a motherboard?

a few days ago while using my computer, I got a blue screen followed about 10 seconds later with a complete computer shutdown. When I tried to boot it back up, it would go to the point in the initial start up screen where it said detecting IDE drives and then for a second there I'd see my two hard drives, and then I'd get this screen that looked like this:

SATA Channel 2 : LBA,SATA 1.5G, 640GB

SATA Channel 1 HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... Disabled
SATA Channel 2 HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... Disabled

PCI device listing ...
(Then a list of devices with things like bus number, IRQ's and the like listed)

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........
Boot from CD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I tried the obvious, like doing what it said, it was like I wasn't doing anything, no effect at all, I tried putting in my system disk and restarting the computer, same thing happens.

So I figured I had a hard drive failure, as a best guess. I went and bought a 1000GB hard drive and installed it in my computer in place of my C: drive and loaded a fresh copy of XP on it. It started doing weird things and sometimes worked and sometimes not.

I ended up buying this little box that I could plug my hard drives into that enabled them to be hooked into another computer via a USB cable, and it seems that my 160GB hard drive was roached, although it did work once for long enough for me to get my info off of it and onto my external drive.

The second drive (which I looked at on my on my laptop via a box that lets me plug in my hard drive and look at it through a USB plug) showed in the disk management screen that it was a 1125GB hard drive with two partitions. It is in reality a 640GB hard drive with no partitions that I am aware of.

So I put it back into my computer with the new hard drive and it shows the same, it looks like this:

The disk in question is Disk 2 which as I said, is in reality a 640GB disk with no partitions other than the original partition that came as a result of reformatting it from FAT to NTFS, it won't let me assign a drive letter to it, and as such, I can't access it.

I'd very much like to get the information off of it, although it is not a earth shattering thing, is it possible?

If so, how?

What would happen if I was to remove the partitions? Could I even remove them? (I haven't tried out of fear of losing the data)

Last edited by lis_RacerX; January 1st, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM

So right now it looks like I have had a 2 hard drive failure at the same time event, there have been no lightning storms or anything, but who really knows about surges and whatnot, I can say that no other electronic devices in my home have been affected.

To top it off, with the new hard drive installed, my computer only boots up on the second try, the first try it looks like what you see above in green (the first post of mine) and then if I shut it off and IMMEDIATELY restart it, it will boot up into windows, if I do a restart via my shotdown menu, it starts up just fine, but if I shut it down and turn it on later, I have to do the 2nd restart manually to get it booted. If I am too slow, say 15 or 20 seconds after I shut it off, on the 2nd start, I go to the dreaded screen as well.

Is this a hardware problem? Did whatever caused the hard drive failures also take out my motherboard?

I am truly clueless here and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am really a novice at this stuff.

Last edited by lis_RacerX; January 1st, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing, Happy New Years everyone!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

No one has any ideas here?