Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question Burned CD with JPG / Cant read in Vista

Emachine with Vista, over 800 RAM available, DVD/RW player/recorder
Emachine with Windows XP over 700 RAM avail, DVD/RW

I burned some JPG pictures onto a CD-R in the computer with Windows XP. Tried to view them in the computer with Windows Vista and it won't even open any of the files in Vista. I click on the DVD drive and nothing will come
up. I thought I needed to reboot maybe, so did that...still nothing. DVD is working, just won't read the CD I put in.

Is there something I need to change, some setting, so that I can view what is on the CD? I know it is good. It does open in the Windows XP computer. I was wanting to use one of the pictures on the CD as my desktop picture. How can I get the files opened?

(I thought I had posted this question earlier, but can't find it, so don't know what happened. If it shows up later, sorry for the duplicate).

Thanks for your help
Barbara
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM

when you say working you mean you tried other disks and your able to read them?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:10 AM

Yes, I've had other CD's in the drive and was able to read them okay. But not sure why it won't read the JPG files on the CD I burned on the Windows XP computer.
A few months back, I tried to burn some pictures to a CD on the Vista computer with the DVD drive and it wouldn't just burn them without me setting something and I don't remember right now what I had to do to get the drive to burn a CD-R, but since I had to make this setting I thought maybe ther was something I had to set in order for it to read the CD-R burned on the Windows XP. I'm not finding anything online, so thought I would ask.
thanks
Barbara
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM

There are no setting,s it should read the CD ok. It is possible however that the CD your using may be poor quality or at least poorly made and it can also be a combination of the two poorly made CD and low quality DVD drive becoming faulty.

One option that you do have is to copy all files onto a USB thumb drive from the CD on the windows XP computer. Later you plug and the drive onto the vista computer and walla your files are there. If you don't have a thumb drive its only 10 or 15 bucks these days for a 1GIG, thats even bigger than a CD. And you can reuse it for a long time.