Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM

Hard Drive Enclosure Issues

Hey, great to be here. Sorry for asking for help on my first post, but I'm in a bit of a jam

So my laptop went out a week or so ago, ironically during my process of backing things up. So, I've got a truckload of data I needed to get off of it. The problem is that I have two hard drives in RAID 0 configuration, and they are both standard 2"5 drives for a laptop.

After talking to a few people, I decided on getting a hard drive enclosure and grabbing my stuff of the first hard drive, then the second. Went to newegg, bought an SATA enclosure for 2"5 drives.

I put my drives in correctly, but I can't get them to work. If I put in Hard drive 1, I get a "Disk is corrupt and cannot be read" error, and on the second, the disk doesn't even pop up on "My Computer"

So I'm now stumped. I'm sure the problem stems from the fact that these drives are in RAID 0 configuration, but other than that, I'm lost.

Hard Drive: 2 SATA 7200 RPM, 100GB, 2"5 drives.

If anybody can help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Once again, sorry for asking so early, and thanks for the time.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi, Welcome to CTH.

What is the issue with the laptop?

You will only be able to access the HDD's using the RAID controller they were made under. So they will not work in a PC without RAID, Or one which has RAID but a different controller.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The problem with the system is a possible burnt out CPU, and a possible faulty power source. I have to deal with it's repair through technical support, and they told me that there was a good chance that (for some reason) they would reformat the hard drive, thus my reason for wanting to back up.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM

Can they not back it up, Or create an image of it after they fix it?

They shouldn't need to reformat the HDD's at all, unless they are corrupted.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM

You're right, but the problem is that the computer is an Alienware, the Worst. Service. Ever. They told me that reformatting is normally "standard", and that they won't make an image for me.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM

Take the HDD's out when they fix it so they have nothing to reformat?

The only way you can get your data that I can think of is in that laptop, or a different one, same model.